|Born:||November 26, 1953 (age 66)|
|Career:||U.S. Senate, 2015-present|
U.S. House of Representatives, 2001-2014
West Virginia State House of Delegates, 1997-2001
|Education:||B.A., Duke University|
M.E., University of Virginia
Shelley Moore Capito assumed office as U.S. senator from West Virginia in 2015. Capito is West Virginia's first female senator.
Capito was born November 26, 1953, in Glen Dale, West Virginia. She completed a Bachelor of Science in zoology from Duke University in 1975. In 1976, she completed her Master of Education from the University of Virginia. After graduation, Capito worked as a college counselor and advisor at West Virginia State College (now University).
From 1997 to 2001, Capito served in the West Virginia State House of Delegates. Capito then represented West Virginia's 2nd District in the United States House of Representatives from 2001 to 2015.
For more information on Capito's policy subject areas, committee appointments and sponsored/co-sponsored legislation in the U.S. Senate and U.S. House of Representatives, please visit her profile on https://www.congress.gov.
Biographical Directory of the United States Congress (n.d.) Capito, Shelley Moore (1953-). Retrieved on May 1, 2020, from https://bioguideretro.congress.gov/Home/MemberDetails?memIndex=C001047.
Capito, Shelley Moore (n.d.).U.S. Senator Shelley Moore Capito (R-W.Va.). Retrieved on May 1, 2020, from https://www.capito.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/SenatorCapitoBio.pdf.
- Remarks at the 2016 RNC - July 19, 2016
- Weekly Republican Address - Sept. 19, 2015
- Candidacy Annoucement for 2014 U.S. Senate Race - Nov. 30, 2012
- Bipartisan JOBS Package - Feb. 28, 2012
- FDIC Future of Community Banking Conference - Feb. 16, 2012
- Mining Jobs - May 11, 2011
- Job-Killing Health Care Bill - March 20, 2010
- Speaker Pelosi's Health Care Bill - Nov. 6, 2009
- Fiscal Responsibility - March 17, 2009