|Born:||December 9, 1966 (age 54)|
|Career:||U.S. Senate, 2009-present|
U.S. House of Representatives, 2007-2009
|Education:||B.A., Dartmouth College|
J.D., University of California-Los Angeles
Kirsten Gillibrand assumed office as a United States senator from New York in January 2009, after being appointed to fill the seat vacated by Senator Hillary Clinton when she became U.S. secretary of state for the Obama Administration. Gillibrand won a special election in 2010, and full terms in 2012 and 2018. In March 2019, she announced her candidacy for the Democratic nomination for president of the United States, but withdrew from the race in August 2019.
Gillibrand was born December 9, 1966, near Albany, NY. She graduated from Dartmouth College with a degree in Asian studies in 1988 and completed her Juris Doctorate from the University of California-Los Angeles Law School in 1991.
Gillibrand clerked at the U.S. Court of Appeals before joining a law firm in New York City. She served as special counsel to Andrew Cuomo when he was secretary of housing and urban development during the Clinton administration. In 2000, she worked on Hillary Clinton’s Senate campaign, then returned to private practice. Gillibrand served in the U.S. House of Representatives for New York's 20th Congressional District from 2007 to 2009.
For information on Gillibrand's policy subject areas, committee appointments and sponsored/co-sponsored legislation in the U.S. Senate and U.S. House of Representatives, please visit her profile on https://www.congress.gov.
McNamee, G. L. (n.d.). Kirsten Gillibrand: United States Senator. In Britannica. Retrieved on Feb. 18, 2020 from https://www.britannica.com/biography/Kirsten-Gillibrand.
- Iowa State Fair Political Soapbox - Aug. 10, 2019
- Commencement Address at New England College - May 11, 2019
- Presidential Campaign Announcement - March 26, 2019
- Victory Speech - November 6, 2018
- Power of Women Speech – April 13, 2018
- Human Rights Campaign Speech - February 3, 2018
- Democratic Women of the Senate at the 2016 DNC - Jul. 28, 2016
- Remarks at the 2016 DNC - July 25, 2016
- Equal Pay Day - April 12, 2016
- A Conversation with Senator Elizabeth Warren - Sept. 14, 2015
- Military Justice Improvement Act - June 16, 2015
- Vassar College Commencement Address - May 26, 2013
- Victory Speech - Nov. 2, 2010
- I Promise - Aug. 20, 2019
- Impossible - Aug. 20, 2019
- Imagine - Aug. 9, 2019
- Why I'm Running - November 4, 2018
- Educational opportunity - Oct. 23, 2102
- Standing up for women - Oct. 15, 2012
- Heroes - Oct. 12, 2012
- Cleaning up Washington - Oct. 5, 2012
- Search - Sept. 21, 2012
- Make it here - Sept. 24, 2012
- Fighting - Aug. 15, 2011
- Fighting for New York - Aug. 15, 2011
- Made in America - Aug. 15, 2011
- Open - Aug. 15, 2011
- Turning - Aug. 15, 2011
- Voice for Veterans - Aug. 15, 2011