|Born:||January 28, 1947 (age 76)|
|Career:||U.S. Senate, 2009-present|
Governor of New Hampshire, 1997-2003
New Hampshire state Senate, 1992-1996
University of Mississippi
Jeanne Shaheen assumed office as a United States senator for New Hampshire in January 2009. Shaheen is the first female U.S. senator from New Hampshire, the first woman to be elected governor of New Hampshire, and the first woman to be elected as both a U.S. governor and a U.S. senator.
Shaheen was born January 28, 1947, in Saint Charles, Missouri. She received her bachelor's degree in English from Shippensburg University in Pennsylvania in 1969 and her master's degree in political science from the University of Mississippi in 1973. Prior to entering politics, Shaheen taught high school and owned a small business.
From 1991 until 1996, Shaheen served as a member of the New Hampshire Senate for the 21st District. She served as governor of New Hampshire from 1997-2003. In 2002, Shaheen ran for the United States Senate, losing to Republican John E. Sununu in the general election. She then served as national chair of John Kerry’s 2004 presidential campaign and then as director of the Harvard Institute of Politics, before resigning to run for the U.S. Senate again in 2008, this time defeating Sununu.
For information on Shaheen's policy subject areas, committee appointments and sponsored/co-sponsored legislation in the U.S. Senate, please visit her profile on https://www.congress.gov.
Biographical Directory of the United States Congress (n.d.). Shaheen, Jeanne (1947-). Retrieved on May 12, 2020, from https://bioguideretro.congress.gov/Home/MemberDetails?memIndex=S001181.
McNamee, G. L. (n.d.). Jeanne Shaheen: United States Senator. In Britannica. Retrieved on May 12, 2020, from https://www.britannica.com/biography/Jeanne-Shaheen.
Shaheen, J. (n.d.). About Jeanne. Retrieved on May 12, 2020, from https://www.shaheen.senate.gov/about/biography.
Vote Smart (n.d.). Jeanne Shaheen's Biography. Retrieved on May 12, 2020, from https://justfacts.votesmart.org/candidate/biography/1663/jeanne-shaheen.
- Democratic Women of the Senate at the 2016 Democratic National Convention - July 28, 2016
- Remarks at the 2016 Democratic National Convention - July 25, 2016
- Boston College Law School Commencement Address - May 27, 2016
- Women for Hillary Clinton Launch - Sept. 16, 2015
- Keene State College Commencement Address - May 11, 2013
- The Future of U.S-Russia Relations - Nov. 28, 2012
- Remembering Geraldine Ferraro - March 29, 2011
- Commencement Address at Shippensburg University - May 8, 2010
- Serve America Act - March 25, 2009
- Budget Floor Statement - March 31, 2009
- Support for CHIP - Jan. 28, 2009
- The Cunninghams - Oct. 29, 2014
- Granite- Oct. 27, 2014
- Clear Choice- Oct. 23, 2014
- No Laughing Matter- Oct. 22, 2014
- Really- Oct. 20, 2014
- Too Often- Oct. 13, 2014
- Safe at Home- Oct. 9, 2014
- Force- Oct. 7, 2014
- Battling- Sept. 30, 2014
- Nobody's Senator- Sept. 12, 2014
- Selling Out- Sept. 10, 2014
- Whopper- Sept. 4, 2014
- Profitable- Aug. 27, 2014
- Keep Up- Aug. 19, 2014
- Making a Difference- Aug 8, 2014
- Breakthrough - Aug. 5, 2014
- Burden - July 21, 2014
- Cared - June 24, 2014
- Home - June 24, 2014
- New Hampshire First - May 28, 2014
- Steel - May 12, 2014
- Open - May 4, 2014
- The People's Pledge - March 24, 2014
- Where You Lead - Sept. 4, 2008
- Dig - Sept. 2, 2008