|Born:||April 12, 1981 (age 38)|
|Career:||U.S. House of Representatives, 2013-present|
Honolulu City Council, 2011-2012
Hawaii State Legislature, 2002-2004
|Education:||B.S., Hawaii Pacific University|
Tulsi Gabbard assumed office as the representative for Hawaii's 2nd Congressional District in 2013. In January 2019, Gabbard announced her campaign for the Democratic nomination for president of the United States.
Gabbard was born on April 12, 1981, in Leloaloa, American Samoa. She received a B.S. in business administration from Hawaii Pacific University in 2009. Her father, Mike Gabbard, was elected to the Hawaii state Senate in 2006.
At the age of 19, Gabbard co-founded Healthy Hawaii Coalition (HHC), a non-profit grassroots organization whose mission is to protect the environment and improve individual and community health. In 2002, she became the youngest person ever elected to the Hawaii state legislature, representing District 42 in West Oahu. Between 2004 and 2009, Gabbard served two deployments to the Middle East. In 2007, she attended the Accelerated Officer Candidate School at Ft. McClellan, Alabama, and was the first female Distinguished Honor Graduate in the 50-year history of the academy.
In 2006, Gabbard went to Washington D.C. to serve in the U.S. Senate as legislative aide to Senator Daniel K. Akaka. She was elected to the Honolulu City Council on November 3, 2010. She served as chair of the Safety, Economic Development, and Government Affairs Committee, as vice chair of the Budget Committee and was a member of the Zoning and Public Works Committee.
For information on Gabbard's policy subject areas, committee appointments and sponsored/co-sponsored legislation in the U.S. House of Representatives, please visit her profile on https://www.congress.gov.
- Presidential Campaign Announcement - February 3, 2019
- Tulsi Gabbard on the Van Jones Show - January 12, 2019
- State Democratic Convention Speech - May 28, 2018
- Muslims for Peace Conference Keynote Address - March 7, 2017
- Speech at the People's Summit - June 24, 2016
- Yoga Day Speech at the UN Headquarters - June 21, 2015
- Military Justice Reform - May 21, 2014
- Support of the Hire More Heroes Act - March 11, 2014
- Endorsed by VoteVets.org - Feb. 9, 2014
- On the Anniversary of Patsy Mink's Historic Title IX Legislation - June 4, 2013
- Speech at the Community Plant and Seed Exchange - May 9, 2013
- Memorial Day 2012 Kauai - June 21, 2012
- Hawaii F.A.C.E. Rally - Apr. 7, 2012
- Veterans Celebration - March 31, 2012
- For The People - August 8, 2018
- Tulsi Fights for Peace - August 4, 2018
- Vote Tulsi Gabbard - July 19, 2018
- Election Day is Today August 11 - Aug. 11, 2012
- We Have a Choice - Aug. 7, 2012
- A Bright Future, version 4 - Aug. 6, 2012
- Legendary Veteran George T. Mukai Supports Tulsi Gabbard- Aug. 3, 2012
- A Bright Future, version 3 - Aug. 2, 2012
- A Bright Future, version 2 - Aug. 2, 2012
- A Bright Future, version 1 - Aug. 1, 2012
- We Have a Choice - July 31, 2012
- Pay-to-Play - July 23, 2012
- What Matters - July 10, 2012
- Fresh Leadership- Jun 20, 2012
- Tulsi Gabbard Offers to Serve You in Congress- May 19, 2012
- "A Window into Tulsi Gabbard's Heart: Coming Home, Understanding War's Toll on Family"- Apr 7, 2012