|Born:||April 12, 1981 (age 42)|
|Career:||U.S. House of Representatives, 2013-2021|
Honolulu City Council, 2011-2012
Hawaii State Legislature, 2002-2004
|Education:||B.S.B.A., Hawaii Pacific University|
Tulsi Gabbard served as the representative for Hawaii's 2nd Congressional District from 2013-2021, the first American Samoan Congresswoman and first practicing Hindu member of Congress. In February 2019, she announced her candidacy for the Democratic nomination for president of the United States, the first female combat veteran to run for U.S. president. She suspended her presidential campaign on March 19, 2020.
Gabbard was born on April 12, 1981, in Leloaloa, American Samoa. She received a B.S.B.A. in business administration from Hawaii Pacific University in 2009. Her father, Mike Gabbard, has been a member of the Hawaii state Senate since 2006.
As a teenager, Gabbard co-founded Healthy Hawaii Coalition (HHC), a non-profit grassroots organization whose mission is to protect the environment and improve individual and community health.
In 2002, Gabbard became the youngest person ever elected to the Hawaii state legislature, representing District 42 in West Oahu through 2004. In 2003, Gabbard enlisted in the Hawaii Army National Guard, completing her basic training between legislative sessions. In July 2004, she was deployed for a 12-month tour in Iraq. In 2007, she graduated from the Accelerated Officer Candidate School at Ft. McClellan, Alabama, where she was the first woman to finish as the distinguished honor graduate in the Academy's 50-year history. From 2007 to 2009, Gabbard served as a legislative aide to U.S. Senator Daniel K. Akaka. In 2009, she was deployed to Kuwait, training counterterrorism units. In 2010, she was elected to the Honolulu City Council, and in 2012, was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives. She served as vice chair of the Democratic National Committee from 2013-2016.
For information on Gabbard's policy subject areas, committee appointments and sponsored/co-sponsored legislation during her time in the U.S. House of Representatives, please visit her profile on https://www.congress.gov.
CNN Editorial Research. (2020, Jan. 22). Tulsi Gabbard Fast Facts. Retrieved on Feb. 5, 2020 from https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/30/us/tulsi-gabbard-fast-facts/index.html.
Pak, N, Kaji, M., and Palaniappan, S. (2019, July 31). Tulsi Gabbard: Everything you need to know about the 2020 presidential candidate. ABC News. Retrieved on Feb. 5, 2020 from https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/meet-tulsi-gabbard-hindu-member-congress-2020-candidate/story?id=60708986.
United State House of Representatives. Gabbard, Tulsi. Retrieved on Feb. 5, 2020, from https://history.house.gov/People/Listing/G/GABBARD,-Tulsi-(G000571)/.
- Campaign Suspension - March 19, 2020
- Justice for All - Oct. 26, 2019
- Iowa Democratic Steak Fry - Sept. 21, 2019
- Iowa State Fair Political Soapbox - Aug. 9, 2019
- Presidential Campaign Announcement - February 3, 2019
- Tulsi Gabbard on the Van Jones Show - January 12, 2019
- State Democratic Convention Speech - May 28, 2018
- Muslims for Peace Conference Keynote Address - March 7, 2017
- Speech at the People's Summit - June 24, 2016
- Yoga Day Speech at the UN Headquarters - June 21, 2015
- Military Justice Reform - May 21, 2014
- Support of the Hire More Heroes Act - March 11, 2014
- Endorsed by VoteVets.org - Feb. 9, 2014
- On the Anniversary of Patsy Mink's Historic Title IX Legislation - June 4, 2013
- Speech at the Community Plant and Seed Exchange - May 9, 2013
- Memorial Day 2012 Kauai - June 21, 2012
- Hawaii F.A.C.E. Rally - Apr. 7, 2012
- Veterans Celebration - March 31, 2012
- Invest in the American people, our families, and our future - Feb. 15, 2020
- Working side-by-side, we can accomplish anything - Feb. 6, 2020
- Fighting For People and Planet - Aug. 21, 2019
- I Love Our Country - July 31, 2019
- I'll Never Stop Fighting For Peace - May 28, 2019
- For The People - August 8, 2018
- Tulsi Fights for Peace - August 4, 2018
- Hawaii is Her Heart - July 19, 2018
- Election Day is Today August 11 - Aug. 11, 2012
- We Have a Choice - Aug. 7, 2012
- A Bright Future, version 4 - Aug. 6, 2012
- Legendary Veteran George T. Mukai Supports Tulsi Gabbard- Aug. 3, 2012
- A Bright Future, version 3 - Aug. 2, 2012
- A Bright Future, version 2 - Aug. 2, 2012
- A Bright Future, version 1 - Aug. 1, 2012
- We Have a Choice - July 31, 2012
- Pay-to-Play - July 23, 2012
- What Matters - July 10, 2012
- Fresh Leadership- Jun 20, 2012
- Tulsi Gabbard Offers to Serve You in Congress- May 19, 2012
- "A Window into Tulsi Gabbard's Heart: Coming Home, Understanding War's Toll on Family"- Apr 7, 2012