Tulsi Gabbard

Campaign Suspension - March 19, 2020

Tulsi Gabbard
March 19, 2020— Oahu, Hawaii

Our nation is facing an unprecedented global crisis that highlights the inextricable bonds of humanity and how foreign policy and domestic policy are inseparable. We are all in this together and we must all rise to meet this moment in service to our country and our fellow man. This is not the first time that we have faced adversity together and it will not be the last. After the terrorist attack by al Qaeda on our country on 9/11 we stood together as Americans. Motivated to serve, marshaling our forces to defeat our common enemy. I and so many Americans all across this country enlisted in the military to do just that. Likewise, today as Americans — and all of humanity — we face a common enemy. It is once again time as Americans and as neighbors in this global community that we stand together once again and work hand-in-hand to defeat this new enemy — the coronavirus.

Throughout my life and throughout this campaign, my motivation has been to serve God, our country, and the American people as best I can. I feel that the best way that I can be of service at this time is to continue to work for the health and well-being of the people of Hawaii and our country in Congress and to stand ready to serve in uniform should the Hawaii National Guard be activated.

Now, after Tuesday’s election, it’s clear that Democratic primary voters have chosen Vice President Joe Biden to be the person who will take on President Trump in the general election. I know Vice President Biden and his wife and I’m grateful to have called his son, Beau, a friend — who also served in the National Guard. Although I may not agree with the Vice President on every issue, I know that he has a good heart and he’s motivated by his love for our country and the American people. I’m confident that he will lead our country guided by the spirit of Aloha, respect, and compassion. And thus, help heal the divisiveness that has been tearing our country apart. So today, I’m suspending my presidential campaign and offering my full support to Vice President Joe Biden in his quest to bring our country together.

I will continue to advocate for a 21st century foreign policy. One that’s based on mutual respect and cooperation instead of confrontation. Where we, as a community of nations, can work together to overcome the great challenges that our people face. Preventing and stopping pandemics like the coronavirus that is now affecting all of us. Tackling climate change, combating terrorism, removing the existential threat of nuclear war that hangs over the heads of all of us. I will continue to do everything that I can to help bring about an end to the new Cold War and nuclear arms race and end regime-change wars — which are costing us trillions of dollars — so that we can invest these precious resources in the needs of the American people. Things like health care, rebuilding our infrastructure, education, and so much more.

I want to extend my best wishes to my friends Senator Bernie Sanders, his wife Jane, Nina Turner, and their many supporters for the work that they’ve done. I have such a great appreciation for Senator Sanders’ love for our country and the American people and his sincere desire to improve the lives of all Americans.

To the many people all across our country who’ve dedicated their time and energy and resources to my campaign, working tirelessly to help get our message out, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. I look forward to speaking to you more in the coming days about why I made this decision and how we can continue to work together for our common cause.

Gabbard, T. [Tulsi Gabbard]. (2020, March 19). Tulsi Gabbard: An Important Announcement [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDPcjLplCI0]. Retrieved on March 20, 2020 from https://www.youtube.com/user/VoteTulsi.