|Born:||October 20, 1964 (age 55)|
|Career:||U.S. Senate, 2017-present|
Attorney general of California, 2011-2016
District attorney of San Francisco, 2003-2011
University of California, Hastings College of Law
Kamala D. Harris assumed office as a U.S. senator from California in January 2017. Harris is the first Indian American to serve as a U.S. senator and only the second black female in the U.S. Senate. In January 2019, she announced her candidacy for the Democratic nomination for president of the United States but withdrew from the race in December 2019. In August 2020, she was chosen by presumptive presidential nominee Joseph Biden to serve as his running mate, making her the first African American, the first Asian American and the third female vice-presidential running mate on a major party ticket.
Born on Oct. 20, 1964, in Oakland, California, Harris received her Bachelor of Arts degree in political science and economics from Howard University in 1986 and her law degree from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law in 1989. From 1990 to 1998, Harris served as a deputy district attorney in the Alameda County District Attorney's office. In 1998, she joined the San Francisco District Attorney's office, and she later served as the head of the San Francisco City Attorney's Division on Children and Families.
In 2003, Harris was elected district attorney of San Francisco, serving until 2011, when she became attorney general, serving in that position until being elected to the U.S. Senate in 2016. She was the first woman and the first African-American attorney general in California.
For information on Harris' policy subject areas, committee appointments and sponsored/co-sponsored legislation in the U.S. Senate, please visit her profile on https://www.congress.gov.
McNamee, G. L. (2019, Dec. 16). Kamala Harris: United States Senator. In Britannica. Retrieved on Feb. 5, 2020 from https://www.britannica.com/biography/Kamala-Harris.
United State House of Representatives. Harris, Kamala Devi. Retrieved on Feb. 5, 2020, from https://history.house.gov/People/Listing/H/HARRIS,-Kamala-Devi-(H001075)/.
- Liberty and Justice Dinner - Nov. 1, 2019
- Iowa Democratic Steak Fry - Sept. 21, 2019
- Iowa State Fair Political Soapbox - Aug. 10, 2019
- My Record As A Prosecutor - June 8, 2019
- Presidential Campaign Announcement - January 28, 2019
- Women Unshackled - August 10, 2017
- National Partnership for Women and Families Gala - June 15, 2017
- California Democratic State Convention – May 20, 2017
- Commencement Address at Howard University - May 13, 2017
- Remarks at 2017 Madeleine K. Albright Lunch - May 2, 2017
- Victory Speech - November 8, 2016
- Remarks at California Democratic Convention - May 16, 2015
- Commencement Address at Berkeley Law - May 11, 2012
- Attorney General Inaugural Address - January 3, 2011
- UCLA Law School Commencement Address - May 13, 2009
- San Francisco State University Commencement Address - May 26, 2007
- The Antidote to Trump - Nov. 20, 2019
- Me, Maya, and Mom - Aug. 9, 2019
- President Obama: Kamala Harris is a Fearless Fighter - Oct. 24, 2016
- Fearless for the Children - Oct. 11, 2016
- Los Niños - Oct. 11, 2016
- Fearless for Students - Oct. 10, 2016
- Strong - May 31, 2016
- It's Kamala! - May 24, 2016
- ¡Sí se puede! - May 13, 2016
- Fearless for the People - May 13, 2016
- Fearless - May 13, 2016