|Born:||October 20, 1964 (age 54)|
|Career:||U.S. Senate, 2017-present|
Attorney general of California, 2011-2016
District attorney of San Francisco, 2003-2011
University of California, Hastings College of Law
Kamala D. Harris assumed office as a U.S. senator from California in January 2017. Harris is only the second black female in the U.S. Senate, after Carol Moseley Braun (D-IL), who served from 1993 to 1998.
Born in Oakland, California, Harris received her undergraduate degree from Howard University and her law degree from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law. From 1990 to 1998, Harris served as a deputy district attorney in the Alameda County District Attorney's office, where she specialized in prosecuting child sexual assault cases. In 1998, she joined the San Francisco District Attorney's office, where she led the Career Criminal Unit. She also served as the head of the San Francisco City Attorney's Division on Children and Families.
In 2003, Harris was elected district attorney of San Francisco, serving until 2011, when she became attorney general. She was the first woman, the first African-American and the first Asian-American attorney general in California. As chief law enforcement officer for California, Harris focused on combating transnational gangs, increasing the adoption of technology and data-driven policing by law enforcement, and improving public safety by reducing recidivism. She fought to reduce elementary school truancy in California, preserve the state's natural resources, and ensure marriage equality for all Californians. She also worked with the technology industry to improve online privacy and safety. Following the national mortgage crisis, Harris secured more than $20 billion for struggling California homeowners from the nation's banks and wrote the nation's most comprehensive package of foreclosure reforms.
For information on Harris' policy subject areas, committee appointments and sponsored/co-sponsored legislation in the U.S. Senate, please visit her profile on https://www.congress.gov.
- Women Unshackled - August 10, 2017
- National Partnership for Women and Families Gala - June 15, 2017
- California Democratic State Convention – May 20, 2017
- Commencement Address at Howard University - May 13, 2017
- Remarks at 2017 Madeleine K. Albright Lunch - May 2, 2017
- Victory Speech - November 8, 2016
- Remarks at California Democratic Convention - May 16, 2015
- Commencement Address at Berkeley Law - May 11, 2012
- Attorney General Inaugural Address - January 3, 2011
- UCLA Law School Commencement Address - May 13, 2009
- San Francisco State University Commencement Address - May 26, 2007
- President Obama: Kamala Harris is a Fearless Fighter - Oct. 24, 2016
- Fearless for the Children - Oct. 11, 2016
- Los Niños - Oct. 11, 2016
- Fearless for Students - Oct. 10, 2016
- Strong - May 31, 2016
- It's Kamala! - May 24, 2016
- ¡Sí se puede! - May 13, 2016
- Fearless for the People - May 13, 2016
- Fearless - May 13, 2016