|Born:||March 12, 1968 (age 51)|
|Career:||U.S. Senate, 2017-present|
U.S. House of Representatives, 2013-2017
|Education:||B.A., University of Hawaii|
M.A., George Washington University
Tammy Duckworth assumed office in the U.S. Senate for the state of Illinois in January 2017. She is the first female military veteran elected to the Senate as a Democrat, joining Senator Joni Ernst (R-IA).
Prior to being elected senator, Duckworth served in the U.S. House of Representatives for Illinois' 8th District from 2013 to 2017. She was the first Asian-American woman elected to Congress in Illinois, the first disabled woman elected to the U.S. House of Representatives and the first member of Congress born in Thailand.
Duckworth was born in Bangkok, Thailand, on March 12, 1968, to an American father and a Thai-Chinese mother. She received her B.A. from the University of Hawaii in 1989 and received a Master of Arts in international affairs from George Washington University in 1992.
As a captain in the National Guard, Duckworth was mobilized for Operation Iraqi Freedom and deployed in 2004. As a Black Hawk helicopter pilot, she was one of the first women to fly combat missions in Iraq until November 12, 2004, when her helicopter was hit by an RPG. Duckworth lost both legs and part of the use of her right arm in the explosion, and was awarded the Purple Heart for her combat injuries. Duckworth continued to serve as a major in the National Guard and became director of Illinois' Department of Veterans' Affairs. In 2009, she was selected by President Obama to be assistant secretary of veterans.
For information on Duckworth's policy subject areas, committee appointments and sponsored/co-sponsored legislation in the U.S. Senate and U.S. House of Representatives, please visit her profile on https://www.congress.gov.
- George Washington University Commencement Address - May 21, 2017
- 2016 Senate Victory Speech - Nov. 8, 2016
- Remarks at the 2016 DNC - Jul. 28, 2016
- Announcing U.S. Senate candidacy - March 31, 2015
- Victory speech - Nov. 6, 2012
- Remarks at the 2012 Democratic National Convention- Sept. 4, 2012
- Simple - Nov. 1, 2016
- Facts - Oct. 5, 2016
- Disgraceful - Sep. 28, 2016
- Hit - Sep. 28, 2016
- Fueled - Sep. 14, 2016
- Breakroom - Sep. 5, 2016
- Granite City - Aug. 29, 2016
- Adversity - Aug. 22, 2016
- Uniform - Aug. 2, 2016
- Flat out - July 14, 2016
- Their stories - May 26, 2016
- Repeatedly - May 16, 2016
- Driven - Feb. 23, 2016
- On the campaign trail - Sept. 10, 2015
- Sacrifice - June 8, 2015
- Announcing 2016 U.S. Senate Campaign - April 7, 2015
- Running for Senate - March 30, 2015
- One Forty - Oct. 27, 2104
- Personal - Nov. 3, 2012
- Fueled - Oct. 5, 2012
- Meet Tammy Duckworth- Oct. 13, 2011