|Born:||November 23, 1955 (age 63)|
|Career:||U.S. Senate, 1997-2014|
Louisiana state treasurer, 1988-1996
Louisiana House of Representatives, 1980-1988
|Education:||Louisiana State University|
Mary Landrieu was elected in 1996 to the U.S. Senate for Louisiana after winning a close and controversial runoff election. Landrieu narrowly won re-election in the 2002 mid-term election. Some experts and pundits had considered Landrieu as a possible running mate for presidential candidate John Kerry in the 2004 election before Kerry's selection of then-Senator John Edwards of North Carolina. With the departure of John Breaux from the Senate in December 2004, Landrieu became Louisiana's senior senator. Landrieu lost her bid for re-election in 2014.
Landrieu was born in Arlington, Virginia, and raised in New Orleans, Louisiana. She attended Ursuline Academy and graduated from Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge in 1977 where she was a member of Delta Gamma sorority.
She was a member of the Louisiana House of Representatives from 1980 to 1988, representing a New Orleans-based district. She then served as Louisiana state treasurer from 1988 to 1996. Landrieu gave up the treasurer's office to run for governor of Louisiana in 1995, but finished third in the state's primary.
Landrieu made securing funding for Louisiana projects one of her top priorities as a U.S. senator. She also held high profile hearings on the mistakes of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) in the wake of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005.
For more information on Landrieu's policy subject areas, committee appointments and sponsored/co-sponsored legislation during her time in the U.S. Senate, please visit her profile on https://www.congress.gov.
- Increasing Loan Limits - Oct. 22, 2009
- Tribute to Louisiana WWII Veterans - Oct. 19, 2009
- Transportation Appropriations - Sept. 16, 2009
- A Louisiana Conversation on Social Security - March 11, 2005
- Commemorating the 30th Anniversary of the Reunification Of Jerusalem - June 11, 1997
- Worth Fighting For- Oct. 25, 2014
- Never Understand- Mary Landrieu for Senate- Oct. 23, 2014
- "Hard Jobs"- Aug. 20, 2014
- Father Daughter, Part 3 - June 13, 2014
- Father Daughter, Part 1 - May 13, 2014
- Father Daughter, Part 2 - May 13, 2014
- Ship Builder - April 28, 2014
- Will Not Rest - April 15, 2014
- Keeping the Promise - Jan. 7, 2014
- Stand Up - Oct. 27, 2008
- Look Out - Oct. 24, 2008
- Bond - Oct. 15, 2008
- Solutions - Oct. 8, 2008
- Bermuda - Oct. 1, 2008
- Garbage - Sept. 25, 2008
- Hide - Sept. 17, 2008
- Pennies - Sept. 15, 2008
- Hurricane Update - Sept. 9, 2008
- False & Misleading - Aug. 22, 2008
- Oil - Aug. 21, 2008
- One Confused Politician: The Facts - Aug. 20, 2008
- Social Security - Aug. 13, 2008
- Spinning - Aug. 5, 2008
- Fifty Years - July 25, 2008
- Fighter - July 15, 2008