|Born:||August 23, 1971 (age 49)|
|Career:||Governor of Michigan, 2019-present|
Prosecutor, Ingham County, 2016
Towsley Policy Maker in Residence, Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy, University of Michigan, 2015-2016
Lecturer, Michigan State University, 2015
Michigan State Senate, 2006-2015
Michigan State House of Representatives, 2000-2006
|Education:||BA, Michigan State University|
JD, Detroit College of Law at Michigan State University
Gretchen Whitmer assumed office as governor of Michigan on Jan. 1, 2019.
Whitmer was born on August 23, 1971, in Lansing, Michigan. Her father served as head of the Michigan Department of Commerce under Governor William Milliken and her mother was an assistant attorney general under Attorney General Frank Kelley. Whitmer earned her Bachelor of Arts in communications from Michigan State University in 1993 and her Juris Doctor from Michigan State University College of Law in 1998.
Whitmer began her political career in 2000 when she was elected to the Michigan House of Representatives. In 2006, she was elected to the state Senate, where she served until 2014.
Ballotpedia (n.d.). Gretchen Whitmer. Retrieved on July 21, 2020, from https://ballotpedia.org/Gretchen_Whitmer.
Vote Smart. (n.d.). Gretchen Whitmer's Biography. Retrieved on July 21, 2020, from https://justfacts.votesmart.org/candidate/biography/37868/gretchen-whitmer.
National Governors Association. (n.d.). Gov. Gretchen Whitmer. Retrieved on July 21, 2020, from https://www.nga.org/governor/gretchen-whitmer.
Anderson, T. (2012, January). Sen. Gretchen Whitmer. Stateline Midwest. Retrieved on July 21, 2020, from https://www.csgmidwest.org/publications/documents/p8Whitmer.pdf.
- 2020 DNC Speech - Aug. 17, 2020
- Democratic Response to the State of the Union Address – Feb. 4, 2020
- University of Michigan Commencement Address - May 4, 2019
- Michigan State University Commencement Address - May 3, 2019
- Inauguration Address – Jan. 1, 2019
- Gubernatorial Victory Speech - Nov. 6, 2018
- We Built a Bridge - November 1, 2018
- It's Time - October 26, 2018
- First Day - October 24, 2018
- Desk to Desk - October 10, 2018
- Away - October 10, 2018
- Battles - October 2, 2018
- It's Personal - July 30, 2018
- Michigan - July 30, 2018
- Fix the Roads - July 24, 2018
- Grit - July 10, 2018
- Water - July 10, 2018
- In Your Corner - June 28, 2018