|Born:||October 22, 1933 (age 88)|
|Career:||U.S. Senate, 1992-present|
Mayor of San Francisco, 1978-1988
San Francisco Board of Supervisors, 1970-1978
|Education:||B.A., Stanford University|
Dianne Feinstein assumed office as a United States senator from California in November 1992, the first woman senator from that state.
Feinstein was born in San Francisco, California, on June 22, 1933. She graduated from Stanford University in 1955.
Feinstein was a member of the California Women's Board of Terms and Parole from 1960-1966. She served on the San Francisco Board of Supervisors from 1970-1978 and was the first woman to serve as president of that board. She served as mayor of San Francisco from 1978 to 1988, the first woman mayor of San Francisco. After an unsuccessful run for governor of California in 1990, Feinstein was elected to the U.S. Senate in 1992 in a special election to fill the term left vacant by the resignation of Sen. Pete Wilson. In the Senate, Feinstein was the first woman member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, first woman to chair the Senate Rules and Administration Committee, first woman to chair the Senate Intelligence Committee and first woman to serve as ranking member on the Senate Judiciary Committee.
For more information on Feinstein's policy subject areas, committee appointments and sponsored/co-sponsored legislation in the U.S. House of Representatives, please visit her profile on https://www.congress.gov.
Biographical Directory of the United States Congress (n.d.) Feinstein, Dianne (1933-). Retrieved on May 6, 2020, from https://bioguideretro.congress.gov/Home/MemberDetails?memIndex=F000062.
Feinstein, Dianne (n.d.). Biography. Retrieved on May 6, 2020, from https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/biography.
- Barrett Supreme Court Confirmation Hearing Opening Statement - Oct. 12, 2020
- Victory Speech - November 6, 2018
- Alleged CIA Computer Tampering- March 11, 2014
- Remembering Geraldine Ferraro - March 29, 2011
- Global Warming: A Time to Act - Oct. 25, 2006
- Gang Violence: An Environment of Fear - Oct. 23, 2006
- The Need for AgJOBS is Now - Oct. 20, 2006
- Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act - July 17, 2006
- Border Tunnel Ammendment - July 11, 2006
- Comprehensive Immigration Reform: The Orange Card Program - May 22, 2006
- Power of Women - March 22, 2006
- On the Death of Dana Reeve - March 7, 2006
- Nuclear Option II - May 23, 2005
- Nuclear Option - May 18, 2005
- International Women's Day - March 8, 2005
- Los Angeles Town Hall Meeting - July 17, 2004
- In Opposition to the Federal Marriage Ammendment - July 12, 2004
- Manipulation of the California Energy Market - June 7, 2004
- Mother's Day March to Hault the Assault - May 6, 2004
- Support the Feinstein Substitute Ammendment - March 25, 2004
- Commencement Adress: USC Law School - May 18, 2003
- Martin Luther King Day Address - Jan. 20, 2003
- Commencement Address at Stanford University - June 13, 1993
- Commencement Address at Golden Gate University School of Law - June 4, 1977