|Born:||March 26, 1940 (age 78)|
|Career:||U.S. House of Representatives, 1987-present|
House Minority Leader, 2003-2007 and 2011-present
Speaker of the House, 2007-2011
House Minority Whip, 2002-2003
|Education:||B.A., Trinity Washington University|
Nancy Pelosi assumed office in the U.S. House of Representatives in 1987. In Congress, Pelosi was the first woman to lead a major political party, to serve as Democratic whip and to serve as speaker of the House, the highest elective office in the United States to be held by a woman to date.
Pelosi was born March 26, 1940, in Baltimore, Maryland. She completed a Bachelor of Arts from Trinity College in 1962.
Prior to serving in Congress, Pelosi served as chair of the California State Democratic Party from 1981 to 1983. From 1985 to 1986, she served as the finance chairman for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee. She represented California's 5th District from 1988 to 1993, the 8th District from 1993 to 2013 and the 12th District from 2013 to the present.
In Congress, Pelosi has served as the majority whip, minority leader, and speaker of the House.
For more information on Pelosi's policy subject areas, committee appointments and sponsored/co-sponsored legislation in the U.S. House of Representatives, please visit her profile on https://www.congress.gov.
- DACA House Speech - February 7, 2018
- Remarks at the 2016 DNC - July 26, 2016
- Nancy Pelosi Speaks at California Democrats Convention- May 16, 2015
- Commencement Address at Bard College - May 24, 2014
- Commencement Address at UC Berkeley - May 17, 2014
- Commencement Address at UC Davis School of Law - May 17, 2013
- Remarks at 2012 DNC - Sept. 5, 2012
- Calling on House Republicans to Pass a Jobs Bill- March 27, 2012
- Commencement Address at Mills College - May 15, 2010
- Remarks at the 2008 DNC - Aug. 25, 2008
- Commencement Speech at Miami Dade College - May 3, 2008
- Remarks Upon Becoming Speaker of the House - Jan. 4, 2007
- Labor Issues - July 25, 2005
- Great Potential of Embryonic Stem Cell Research - May 24, 2005
- 'Pre-buttal' to State of the Union Address - Dec. 27, 2003
- Distinguished Citizen Award - Nov. 9, 2002
- Unilateral Force and the War on Terrorism - Oct.10, 2002