|Born:||November 3, 1947 (age 76)|
|Career:||U.S. Senator, 2012-present|
U.S. House of Representatives, 2007-2012
Lieutenant governor of Hawaii, 1994-2002
Hawaii House of Representatives, 1980-1994
|Education:||University of Hawaii at Manoa|
Mazie K. Hirono assumed office in January 2013, representing Hawaii in the United States Senate.
Hirono was born November 3, 1947, in Fukushima, Japan, and raised in Honolulu, Hawaii. She graduated from the University of Hawaii at Manoa in 1970 and completed her law degree from Georgetown University Law Center 1978. After graduation, Hirono worked in the antitrust division of the Hawaii attorney general's office.
In 1980, Hirono was elected to the Hawaii state House of Representatives, serving from 1980 to 1994. In 1994, she served two four-year terms as Hawaii's lieutenant governor. From 2007 to 2012, she served Hawaii's 2nd District in the U.S. House of Representatives.
For information on Hirono's policy subject areas, committee appointments and sponsored/co-sponsored legislation in the U.S. Senate and U.S. House of Representatives, please visit her profile on https://www.congress.gov.
Biographical Directory of the United States Congress (n.d.). Hirono, Mazie (1947-). Retrieved on May 6, 2020, from https://bioguideretro.congress.gov/Home/MemberDetails?memIndex=H001042.
Hirono, M.K. (n.d.). About Mazie. Retrieved on May 6, 2020, from https://www.hirono.senate.gov/about.
- USC Gould School of Law Commencement Address - May 12, 2023
- Barrett Supreme Court Confirmation Hearing Opening Statement - Oct. 12, 2020
- Democratic Women of the Senate at the 2016 Democratic National Convention - July 28, 2016
- Introduction of the Early Childhood Educator Loan Forgiveness Act of 2007 - June 11, 2007
- 35th Anniversary of Title IX - May 15, 2007
- In support of Iraq War Resolution - Feb. 25, 2007
- I Believe - Oct. 22, 2018
- Thankful - Oct. 4, 2018
- President - Nov. 3, 2012
- Middle - Oct. 30, 2012
- Life - Oct. 26, 2012
- Brought - Oct. 24, 2012
- He Said/She Said - Oct. 15, 2012
- Truth - Oct. 2, 2012
- Plan - Sept. 26, 2012
- 4794 - Sept. 8, 2012
- Better - Aug. 29, 2012
- Together - Aug. 3, 2012
- Strong - Aug. 1, 2012
- Heart - July 25, 2012
- Determined - July 10, 2012
- Forward - Feb. 1, 2012