|Born:||May 26, 1944 (age 74)|
|Career:||U.S. House of Representatives, 1999-present|
Illinois General Assembly, 1990-1998
|Education:||B.S., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
Janice (Jan) Schakowsky assumed office January 1999, representing Illinois 9th District in the United States House of Representatives.
Schakowsky was born May 26, 1944, in Chicago, Illinois. She received her Bachelor of Science in elementary education from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign in 1965.
Prior to serving in Congress, Schakowsky was program director of Illinois Public Action, Illinois' largest public interest group, from 1976 to 1985, and served as director of the Illinois State Council of Senior Citizens from 1985 to 1990. From 1990 to 1998, Schakowsky served as a member of the Illinois State General Assembly.
For information on Schakowsky's policy subject areas, committee appointments and sponsored/co-sponsored legislation in the U.S. House of Representatives, please visit her profile on https://www.congress.gov.
- Remarks at the 2014 Ultimate Women's Power Lunch - May 5, 2014
- Remarks at the 2008 Democratic National Convention - Sept. 3, 2008
- Comprehensive Immigration Reform - Sept. 5, 2006
- Wake Up Wal-Mart - Aug.12, 2006
- Worker's Rights in Columbia - June 15, 2006
- Progressive Agenda for the Common Good: Health Care for All - June 12, 2006