|Born:||November 17, 1964 (age 56)|
|Career:||Director, U.S. Domestic Policy Council, 2021-present|
National Security Advisor, 2013-2017
U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, 2009-2013
M.Phil. and D.Phil., New College, Oxford
Susan E. Rice has served as director of the U.S. Domestic Policy Council since Jan. 20, 2021.
Rice was born November 17, 1964, in Washington, D.C. In 1986, she earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in history from Stanford University, was a Truman Scholar. She earned a master's degree and a doctorate in international relations from New College, Oxford University, where she was a Rhodes scholar. In 1990, she was awarded the Chatham House-British International Studies Association Prize for the most distinguished doctoral dissertation in the United Kingdom in the field of international relations. Rice began her career as an international management consultant for McKinsey & Company, from 1990-1993.
From 1993 to 1995, Rice was director for International Organizations and Peacekeeping on the National Security Council staff, and from 1995 to 1997, she served as special assistant to President Clinton and senior director for African affairs at the National Security Council at the White House. From 1997 to 2001, she was the U.S. assistant secretary of state for African affairs. In this position, she formulated and implemented U.S. policy for 48 countries of Sub-Saharan Africa and oversaw the management of 43 U.S. embassies and over 5,000 U.S. and foreign service national employees.
From 2002 to 2009, Rice was a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution, and from 2007-2008, Rice also served as a senior advisor for national security affairs on the Obama Change for America campaign. Rice served as the ambassador to the U.N. from 2009 to 2013 and as the national security advisor for the Obama administration from 2013 to 2017.
American University (n.d.). Susan Rice. Retrieved on April 29, 2020 from https://www.american.edu/sis/faculty/srice.cfm.
Ballotpedia (n.d.). Susan Rice. Retrieved on April 29, 2020 from https://ballotpedia.org/Susan_Rice.
- Commencement Address at Florida International University - May 11, 2016
- Address at the 6847th Meeting of the United Nations Security Council - Oct. 15, 2012
- Commencement Address at Stanford University - June 13, 2010
- Commencement Address at Spelman College - May 16, 2010
- The Responsibility We Share for Our Common Future - Oct. 21, 2009
- A New Course in the World, a New Approach at the UN - Aug. 12, 2009
- UN Security Council and the Responsibility to Protect - June 15, 2009
- Remembering the Rwandan Genocide - April 7, 2009