|Born:||November 29, 1957 (age 64)|
|Career:||President, University of California, 2013-present|
U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security, 2009-2013
Governor of Arizona, 2003-2009
Arizona attorney general, 1998-2002
U.S. Attorney for District of Arizona, 1993-1998
|Education:||B.S., Santa Clara University|
J.D., University of Virginia Law School
Janet Napolitano has served as president of the University of California system since September 2013. Previously, she served as U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security from 2009 to 2013, the first woman to hold that post.
Napolitano was born in New York City on November 29, 1957, and grew up in Albuquerque, New Mexico. She earned a Bachelor of Science in political science from Santa Clara University in 1979, where she was the university's first female valedictorian, and received her Juris Doctor from the University of Virginia School of Law in 1983. Before entering public office, she served as a clerk for Judge Mary M. Schroeder on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and practiced law in Phoenix at the firm of Lewis and Roca.
Prior to serving as U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security, Napolitano was a two-term governor of Arizona, attorney general of Arizona and U.S. attorney for the District of Arizona.
U.S. Department of Homeland Security (2013, Oct. 24). Janet Napolitano. Retrieved on May 15, 2020, from https://www.dhs.gov/archive/person/janet-napolitano.
U.S. Department of Homeland Security (2013, Oct. 24). Janet Napolitano, Secretary of Homeland Security 2009 – 2013. Retrieved on May 15, 2020, from https://www.dhs.gov/janet-napolitano.
Ballotpedia (n.d.). Janet Napolitano. Retrieved on May 15, 2020, from https://ballotpedia.org/Janet_Napolitano.
- Commencement Address at Northeastern University - May 2, 2014
- Remarks at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy Commencement - May 16, 2012
- Commencement Speech at Emory University - May 9, 2011
- Commencement Speech at Pomona College - May 16, 2010
- H1N1 Flu: Monitoring The Nation's Response - Oct. 21, 2009
- Eight Years After 9/11: Confronting The Terrorist Threat To The Homeland - Sept. 30, 2009
- Global Cyber Security Conference - Aug. 4, 2009
- Remarks at the 2008 Democratic National Convention - Aug. 26, 2008