|Born:||July 20, 1936 (age 85)|
|Career:||U.S. Senate, 1987-2017|
U.S. House of Representatives, 1977-1987
Baltimore City Council, 1971-1976
|Education:||Mt. St. Agnes College|
University of Maryland School of Social Work
Barbara Mikulski served as Maryland's United States senator from 1986-2017. Mikulski was the first Democrat woman senator elected in her own right. She was also the first woman to chair the Senate Committee on Appropriations. In 2011 Mikulski became the longest-serving female senator and in 2012, the longest-serving woman in Congress.
Mikulski was born July 20, 1936, in Baltimore, Maryland. She received her Bachelor of Arts in sociology in 1958 from Mount Saint Agnes College (now part of Loyola University Maryland) and her master's degree in social work from the University of Maryland School of Social Work in 1965.
Prior to her political career, Mikulski worked as a social worker, college professor and civil rights activist. She was elected to the Baltimore City Council in 1971, and in 1976 she was elected to Congress to represent Maryland's 3rd district, a position she held for ten years.
For information on Mikulski's policy subject areas, committee appointments and sponsored/co-sponsored legislation during her time in the U.S. Senate, please visit her profile on https://www.congress.gov.
Biographical Directory of the United States Congress (n.d.). Mikulski, Barbara Ann (1936-). Retrieved on May 6, 2020, from https://bioguideretro.congress.gov/Home/MemberDetails?memIndex=M000702.
Pallardy, R. (n.d.). Barbara Mikulski: United States Senator. In Britannica. Retrieved on May 11, 2020, from https://www.britannica.com/biography/Barbara-Mikulski.
United States Senate (n.d.) Barbara Mikulski: A Featured Biography. Retrieved on May 11, 2020, from https://www.senate.gov/senators/FeaturedBios/Featured_Bio_Mikulski.htm.
- Farewell Remarks - Dec. 7, 2016
- Democratic Women of the Senate at the 2016 Democratic National Convention - July 28, 2016
- Remarks at the 2016 Democratic National Convention - July 26, 2016
- Retirement Announcement - March 2, 2015
- Remembering Geraldine Ferraro - March 29, 2011
- Condemning the Escalation of Troops in Iraq - Jan. 11, 2007
- Promote Women's Health - June 23, 2006
- Opposition to Alito Confirmation - Jan. 25, 2006
- Real ID in Emergency Supplemental Spending Bill - May 10, 2005
- Hubble's 15th Anniversary - April 26, 2005
- International Women's Day - March 8, 2005
- Privatization of Social Security - Jan. 25, 2005
- Increase Training and Equipment for Firefighters - Oct. 14, 2005
- Rebuilding Iraq - Oct. 15, 2003
- Prescription Drug Coverage for Seniors - June 10, 2003
- Remarks to the Federal APAC - May 8, 1996
- Character Counts - Oct. 15, 1995