Amy Klobuchar

Let's Get to Work - July 20, 2019

Amy Klobuchar
July 20, 2019
Campaign status: Lost

KLOBUCHAR: Today, from America's heartland, I'm announcing my candidacy for president of the United States. I'm Amy Klobuchar. I believe in the honesty and the optimism of the people of this country. I believe we can be a nation governed not by chaos, but from opportunity. The opportunity my grandpa, who spent his life working in the iron ore mines in northern Minnesota, gave our family when he saved money in a coffee can to send my dad to college. The opportunity my mom, a teacher, gave me and all those kids she taught to live with purpose and to love Monarch butterflies. The opportunity my dad, a newspaperman, gave me to always look for life's adventures and never shy away from adversity. The opportunity the doctors and nurses in the hospital gave our daughter when she was sick. We are all tired of the shutdowns and the putdowns, the gridlock and the grandstanding. Together, we can set our sights on the challenges before us. Look up, look at each other, and look ahead. I'm running for this job for every person who wants their work recognized and rewarded. For every parent who wants a safe world for their kids. For every senior who can't afford insulin. For every worker, farmer, dreamer and builder. For every American. I'm running as a mom who advocated for one of the first laws in the country guaranteeing new moms and their babies a 48-hour hospital stay. As a local county attorney who did my job without fear or favor. As a U.S. senator who has taken on the special interests and believes in finding common ground and shared prosperity. As your president, I'll look you in the eye, tell you what I think and focus on getting things done. That's what I've done my whole life. And no matter what, I'll lead from the heart. Join me. I need your help. Let's get to work. I'm Amy Klobuchar and I approve this message.