Cindy Axne

Victory speech - Nov. 6, 2018

Cindy Axne
November 06, 2018— Des Moines, Iowa

How's everybody doing tonight? [cheers] Come on up come on up.

We did it! [cheers]

I am so honored and humbled to be standing here as your next representative for the 3rd congressional district. [cheers]

I entered this race now 18 months ago because I was personally frustrated with those decisions that were being made out in Washington, decisions that are hurting hard-working Iowa families, decisions that are helping only corporations and millionaires and billionaires.

Well you know what? You all got busy, you got the vote out and we're going to change that. [cheers]

Because when it comes to Washington, corporations and special interests, boy they've had their time. They had a seat at the table but now it's time for Iowans to have a voice. [cheers]

But this election was never about me and it was never about party politics. This election was about you. Because I know when I was watching those decisions being made out in Washington and they affected me and my family, I knew that they affected your family, too.

So I decided to get busy and I started traveling this district, visiting every single county, making sure that I talked to Iowans across this district from Ringgold County to Fremont County to Potawatomi to right here in Polk County, because we're absolutely all in this together and I want to make sure I talked to every single one of you out there. [cheers]

I talked to Iowans about their struggles for affordable quality health care, for jobs that can give our families opportunity and for our seniors to be retired with dignity.

And you know one thing is clear—Iowans are working incredibly hard. We're playing by the rules, but Washington doesn't have our back and we deserve a heck of a lot better, don't you think? [cheers]

Well, I plan on changing that. And as a matter of fact I'm interested in solving problems and making sure that we bring opportunity to the people back here in our corner of the state and to this entire state in general. And because of that I have not taken one penny from a corporate PAC [cheers] because I'm out there to work for you and not for corporations and special interests, because this has always been about us here in Iowa.

And I can tell you when I'm in Congress I will support any bill that helps the people here in our state. I'm not going to support something just because it's a Democratic bill and I'm not going to oppose a bill just because it's Republican. I will support any good idea as long as it helps the people here, the folks in our corner of Iowa, the best district in the state, Iowa's Third District. [cheers]

And I'm going to take on those tough fights and make sure that we protect those crucial programs like Social Security and Medicare, make sure that our rural communities have what it takes for them to thrive, and ensure that every single person in this district has the skills to get whatever job they like that pays well and gives their family opportunity. [cheers]

But most importantly—and I know you've guys have heard this out on the trail—pre-existing conditions. I will do whatever it takes and I will make sure that we never turn back the clock, that we always ensure that anybody with pre-existing conditions is covered, that they can afford their insurance. And I will fight tooth and nail for every single person in Iowa to make sure that we never go back to a time where insurers could charge whatever they wanted to people with pre-existing conditions. [cheers] And if you all know me, you know I've got pretty sharp elbows when it comes to doing the right thing. [cheers]

And I'll tell you what—this is a great night to be a Democrat. [cheers] But I don't care if you're Democrat, Republican or independent, if you come here from one of our neighborhoods in the metro area or if you live out in one of our rural communities. I don't care what you look like and I don't care who you pray to. What I care about is the fact that we are neighbors. We are family. We are friends. We are community members. We are Iowans and we're in this together. [cheers]

So get ready, because I'm bringing everyone with me. Better pack your bags. Our hard-working union members [cheers], our seniors, our parents, our students, our small business owners, our farmers who have been thrown under the bus under this administration. They're all going to have a voice out in Washington, because I'm taking y'all with me to Congress. [cheers]

And I just got off the phone with Congressman—former—well, Congressman Young and I look forward to carrying on the tradition that he's created around this district, traveling to every single county every single month. And I'm going to carry on that true service that's been provided to the constituents here. [cheers]

And I will ensure to make sure that we're accountable and transparent and that I deliver excellent services to every single constituent in this district. [cheers]

And lastly I'd like to say thank you to all of you. And for any of you in this room who has called, canvased, donated or stuffed envelopes for me—give yourself a big round of applause. [cheers]

Thank you so much for everything you've done. I truly am incredibly grateful. There's so many people in this room right now that I have so much to thank for and I couldn't be more grateful.

And to my incredible team and you many of you know him, my great campaign manager, Joe Diver. [cheers] Iowans have grown to know and love him. To my incredible team—some of them are up here with me right now—they have worked tirelessly 18 months, literally non-stop night and day to make sure that we won this race by making sure that we got out and talked with every Iowan to let them know that there was a better choice in this election, and they made that happen. [cheers]

And to my husband, John [cheers], and my boys, Gunnar and Rafe [cheers]—I love you and I couldn't have done this without your support.

And to my dad [cheers] and my sisters, Jenny and Mindy, and our family—this has been one of the hardest years of our lives and one of the most exciting years of our lives, and even though my mom can't be with us here today I know she's here with us in spirit. [cheers]

This has been an adventure for all of us and I'm so incredibly grateful to all of you for helping us have this win. I couldn't be more grateful from the bottom of my heart. You have inspired me, you have driven me, you have given me those stories that are taking me out to Washington to make sure that we bring opportunity and we respect the dignity of every single person in this district. So thank you so much for everything you've done. [cheers]

I truly, honestly couldn't have done this without you. Thank you so much.

This is a great night. [cheers]