Lauren Underwood

Nurses Get Results - Oct. 15, 2018

Lauren Underwood
October 15, 2018
Campaign status: Won

UNDERWOOD: I grew up right here in Naperville, Illinois. It's here where I first gained an understanding of the importance of community service as a Girl Scout, began the education that helped me become a registered nurse, and it was here that I learned to be the independent thinker and leader I am today. When I was in elementary school, I was diagnosed with a pre-existing condition. It's a heart condition. During the course of treatment, it inspired me to have a career in health care. As a nurse, I spent my career expanding access to health care services for communities across our country as both a career federal employee and as an appointee in the Obama administration. I've worked on a variety of policy challenges and worked in public health emergencies and disasters, issues like Ebola and Zika and the water crisis in Flint. A representative is supposed to be transparent and honest about their votes. They're supposed to be accessible to the community and ultimately accountable to us, to the voters. We just need to have representatives who make it a priority to have the backs of the families in this community. There is something to fight for, to hope for, to work towards. If we as a society don't invest in each other, right, then what do we have? We don't have to be divided in order to protect our health care coverage. Nurses don't have a choice. We get results. We make progress or people suffer. It's time that we really fix our healthcare system, and I believe that we need to have a nurse at the table to do so. I'm Lauren Underwood and I approve this message.