Jackie Walorski

Maiden Speech on House Floor - January 15, 2013

Jackie Walorski
January 15, 2013— Washington DC

Thank You Mr. Chairman, Mr. Speaker. I will remind you of my- my distinguished colleague from the state of Indiana that Notre Dame was undefeated this year. It was a very successful season, and so we'll just put that on the record.

Thank You Mr. Chairman. I am deeply humbled to represent the people of Indiana's second congressional district in the United States House of Representatives. Today I speak for the first time before this chamber and on their behalf. To the hard-working Hoosier families in north central Indiana, thank you for sending me to Washington. I'm eager to work with my colleagues here to make raising a family and sending a child to college just a little bit easier. To the small business owners from South Bend to Plymouth, please know that each day I will work tirelessly to strengthen the economy so you can employ those who want to work within our community. To the senior citizens between La Porte and Peru, you can count on my support to restore the American Dream and ensure that America's best days are not behind her in the past, who want to work- who absolutely want to put our future and our future generations on a solid concrete path.

Mr. Speaker, I want to let the people of Indiana know that in the coming weeks they'll hear many assertions in the debate over whether Congress should increase the debt ceiling. The people of Indiana deserve to hear the truth. The entire nation deserves to hear the truth. The truth is that even as I speak our national debt is spiraling out of control toward 16.5 trillion dollars. The truth is that the United States has not run one, not two, not three, but four consecutive trillion dollar budget deficits. The truth is that this federal government is borrowing an unthinkable 46 cents for every dollar it spends, while throwing our children under the weight of the bill. The truth is that the share of the national debt for every family in Indiana is a staggering $143,190. For every Hoosier, its $52,737.

The truth, Mr. Speaker, is it it's time for us to stop spending money we simply do not have. Admiral Mike Mullen, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, has warned us he said and I quote, “the single biggest threat to our national security is our debt. In order to get our debt under control we first must completely take care of our spending.” As families in Indiana 2nd District, all across the nation, we have to prioritize spending we have to create budgets and live within our means, so should this Congress of the United States. Each day that we delay getting our fiscal house in order, we threaten the safety and well-being of those we love and care about the most. We threaten the opportunity and promise of future generations by limiting the resources we have to invest in infrastructure and education.

Mr. Speaker as I said earlier, the truth is that it's time for us to stop spending money we simply do not have. As big as our national debt may be, Americans have always been able to come together and solve big problems. I thank the good people of Indiana for electing me to listen to their needs and bring good Hoosier common sense to Washington. I look forward to working together in this Congress on their behalf and to tackle our most serious issues. Ladies and gentlemen, the clock is ticking, let's get to work.