Stephanie Murphy

Why I'm Running for Congress - Sep 8, 2016

Stephanie Murphy
September 08, 2016
Campaign status: Won

MURPHY: I'm Stephanie Murphy and I'm running for U.S. Congress in Florida's 7th district. I got into this race because I was really disturbed by the inaction in Washington. I feel like in Washington, partisan politics has caused Congress to grind to a halt, and when Congress isn't working it's not representing the people. I have always had a heart for public service and it's because of my personal story. I was born in Vietnam, and my parents got on a boat when I was six months old with my eight-year-old brother to escape by sea, and we were adrift when a U.S. Navy ship came upon our boat, refueling us and resupplying us, allowing us to get to the Malaysian refugee camp. A Lutheran church in Virginia sponsored us and relocated us there, and my parents went to work, multiple jobs, so that my brother and I could focus on our education. We were both able to go to college on a combination of scholarships and grants and student loans, and I've been able to have a career in business. But when 911 happened, I left the corporate world to follow the call into public service. I ended up as a national security specialist in the Office of the Secretary of Defense. As a child who was rescued by the U.S. Navy, it was the greatest honor of my life to be able to serve alongside of sailors and soldiers working with our allies overseas to keep Americans safe at home. And about eight years ago, my husband had an opportunity to start a company here in Florida and so we moved to Florida, and now I'm here raising my children. I want to go to Congress and draw on my experiences and be able to bring a different approach to legislating, one that's more about compromise and getting things done than it is about partisanship. I think it's gone on too long that people have put their party above the people of their districts and I'd like to change that.