Elise Stefanik

Elise Stefanik Acceptance Speech- Nov. 4, 2014

Elise Stefanik
November 04, 2014— Glens Falls, New york

Tonight we made a little history in the North Country. I am honored and humbled to be the youngest woman ever elected to the United States Congress, and to add an additional crack to the glass ceiling for future generations of women here tonight

But this election, it’s not about me, it’s about all of you here tonight and the people of the 21st district. I want to begin by thanking each and every one of you here in this room. We are here tonight because you believed that Washington is ready for fresh ideas and a new generation of leadership. This victory truly belongs to each and every one of you. It belongs to the republican and conservative county committees who devoted their time and energy to help organize our campaign. It belongs to our amazing staff led by Phil, Matt and Anthony who helped to build an extraordinary team. And it belongs to the countless volunteers who went door to door, phone banked, spreading our message and vision for creating jobs, growing our economy, protecting our farms, helping our small businesses, supporting our troops, and caring for our seniors and for future generations.

And of course it belongs to the voters who overwhelmingly responded to a message of a broken Washington, in desperate need of new ideas, new energy, and common sense solutions. This was a campaign, fueled by people and ideas on day one. As your representative, I will work hard every day, to create jobs, and grow our economy, right here in the North Country. To build greater transparency and accountability in congress. To require members of congress to live by the same laws as the rest of us. Makes sense, right?

To reduce our debt for future generations, to reform our tax code and start from scratch for a flatter, fairer, simpler tax code, that makes sense and helps small businesses grow. I will make sure to put forth policies that put you back in charge of your healthcare. And as your representative, I will always stand up for our veterans and military families across the 21st district.

Every decision I make, every single vote I take, I will ask myself one simple question. Will this help the hardworking families of the North Country? And I will work with anyone, regardless of their party affiliation to get it done. Republicans, democrats, Independents and even Green party members, I am willing to work with you to get the job done.

I also want to take this opportunity to thank both of my opponents and recognize them. I spoke with Aaron a short time ago, and Aaron and Matt were both gracious, and I expressed my thanks to them for a hard fought race. During a campaign, over the countless debates, parades, milking cows at the county fairs, participating in the candidates forums, you get to know your opponents quite well, and learn that they are very good people. In our case, the certainly both are accomplished and intelligent men who made the debate richer and clearer for the voters of the North Country. And no matter their party, our democratic process is strengthened by those individuals, willing put forth their ideas, and with the courage to put their name on the ballot. So thank you to Aaron and Matt and their teams on a hard fought race, and please join me in giving them a round of applause.

We also owe a debt of gratitude to Congressman Bill Owens for the service to the citizens of this district. He worked tirelessly in Washington on behalf of the North Country, and I want to personally express my thanks to Bill for his dedication and his career in public service. Let’s give him a round of applause.

To those of you who did not support me today, know that I will work hard every day to earn your respect, and your trust, and hopefully your support, though hard work, accessibility, and strong constituent services. Now it is time to thank everyone here. Political campaigns are only as strong as the people who support them, and I couldn’t possibly begin to name all of the individuals here tonight who deserve recognition for helping make this possible. Many of you are here, many of them are celebrating across the 12 counties of this district, but we are here today because of your hard work.

I want to also recognize the important people in my life, my family. This is tough. The greatest blessing I’ve had is being born to my parents. Their unconditional love and support throughout my life, gave me the confidence to dream and shape me into the person standing before you. So, sorry about that. But like so many parents across our district, they believed that their hard work raising their family, starting their small business here in upstate New York, would mean more opportunities for their children. So I thank you from the bottom of my heart, and Matt I couldn’t have done this without your love and support.

Tomorrow, before the sun is up, people will return to their daily lives. Our soldiers from the 10th mountain division will report for duty at port drum. Our farmers will tend to our fields and livestock to provide food for our tables. Our teachers will ready their classrooms to educate our children, and our small businesses will open their doors for another day to create jobs, and provide needed services to our communities.

And I will go to work for them, and I will go to work for all of you. I ran for congress to bring new ideas, fresh energy, and a new generation of leadership to Washington. That is exactly what I intend to do. We made history tonight, thank you again. God bless you, God bless the North Country and may God bless the United States of America.

Speech from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNbIVLzMPmk.