Tammy S Baldwin

Remarks at the 2024 Democratic National Convention – Aug. 22, 2024

Tammy S Baldwin
August 22, 2024— Chicago, Illinois

Hey, Wisconsin!

Tonight, I want to talk about family. We know that all families don't look alike. My mother was a teenager when I was born, and she struggled with addiction. I never met my father. But I had two incredible grandparents who stepped in and raised me, David and Doris Green. Everything I know, I learned from them. In every way a child needs, my grandparents were there for me. And as they grew older, it was my privilege to be there for them.

So when I work to protect Medicare and Social Security, I do it with a personal knowledge of what those big programs meant in small but deeply meaningful ways to my grandparents. And I know what they mean for your parents and grandparents.

But let's be clear, that is all at risk today. Donald Trump was asked what he would do about Social Security and Medicare, and he said, and I quote, “There's a lot you can do in terms of cutting.”

Cutting? He's talking about cutting Social Security and Medicare while giving a huge new tax break to billionaires and corporations?

Well, Kamala Harris is not gonna let that happen. And Tim Walz is not going to let that happen. We are not gonna let that happen.

You know, they've got it backwards. We Democrats—we honor our elders and ask the wealthiest to pay their fair share.

Wisconsin state motto is “Forward,” and my friends, that's where we're headed.

PBS Newshour. “Sen. Tammy Baldwin speaks at 2024 Democratic National Convention | 2024 DNC Night 4.” YouTube video, 2:05. Aug. 22, 2024. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK_xpg7UBKI