Debbie Wasserman Schultz

Remarks at the 2024 Democratic National Convention – Aug. 21, 2024

Debbie Wasserman Schultz
August 21, 2024— Chicago, Illinois

Hello. America. As a proud Floridian, I bring you a cautionary tale.

For the people of my state, Project 2025 isn't just a threat. It's a reality that we battle every day. From the classroom to the emergency room, Gov. DeSantis turned Florida into a testing ground for the right’s most egregious, dangerous policies. I can tell you firsthand—it's been devastating for families in my district and across the state.

Today in Florida, state policy requires that kids are taught racist lies about so-called benefits of slavery. Books are banned. Teachers are censored. And our LGBTQ+ community endures endless state-sponsored hate. Even a cruel “don't say gay” school law. Today in Florida as we grapple with record—record—heat and rising seas, extreme MAGA Republicans deleted mentions of climate change from state law. Today in Florida, a near-total abortion ban endangers women's health and their lives every day.

I keep thinking about a central Florida woman I met named Deborah. And at 23 weeks pregnant she got news every future parent dreads. Her baby's kidneys never developed. Doctors told her that not only would her baby not survive, her own health was in danger. Deborah couldn't get the care she needed in Florida, and she couldn't afford to travel hundreds of miles to get it. She had no choice but to carry her son, Milo, to term, only to watch him die in her arms two hours later.

This is Project 2025 in practice. It's what Donald Trump and JD Vance want for the whole country. But we're not going to let it happen, are we?

Now, I say this as a Floridian. But also a mom. And an American. We can't let them do to America what they did to Florida. Are you with me?

So let's fight like hell to elect Kamala Harris the next president of the United States of America. Thank you so much.

PBS Newshour. “Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz speaks at 2024 Democratic National Convention | 2024 DNC Night 3.” YouTube video, 3:12. Aug. 22, 2024. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbmX1Yx2hQE