Lisa Blunt Rochester

Remarks at the 2024 Democratic National Convention – Aug. 21, 2024

Lisa Blunt Rochester
August 21, 2024— Chicago, Illinois

I’m Blunt Rochester—mother, grandmother and congresswoman. And hopefully the next senator from the great state of Delaware. The proud home of President Biden! We love you, Joe!

In Delaware, we know that when small businesses thrive, communities thrive. We know that when our roads and our bridges are strong, communities are strong. When everyone has a fair shot at a better future, America is limitless.

Now, Democrats, we know this, but you know who doesn't know it? Donald Trump. He has with his friends said the quiet parts out loud. But not only said them out loud, he wrote a book about it. What's it called? Project 2025.

So with so much on the line, we've got to turn our biggest challenges into our greatest and brightest of hope.

For me, Bright Hope was the name of the church that my grandmother attended for 70 years in Philadelphia. It's not just a name, it's how I approach my life. It's how I'll lead as Delaware senator. And it's how Kamala sees the future of America.

Now there are some who think our politics are too broken for bright hope. But if you want to see hope, just look. Bright hope is record numbers of black and brown entrepreneurs starting businesses. Bright hope is an opportunity economy where we invest in our communities and build affordable housing. Ladies and gentlemen, bright hope is four words: Madam President Kamala Harris.

Are you ready for bright hope? Are you ready to fight for our freedom? Are you ready to flip the House, protect the Senate and send Kamala to the White House? Then let’s go!

PBS Newshour. “Rep. Lisa Blunt Rochester speaks at 2024 Democratic National Convention | 2024 DNC Night 3.” YouTube video, 2:29. Aug. 22, 2024. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdzyYbicPHQ