Tina Smith

Response to Roe v. Wade Supreme Court Leak - May 3, 2022

Tina Smith
May 03, 2022— Supreme Court of the United States

So when I worked at Planned Parenthood, I saw firsthand every day the capacity, of women, to make good decisions about their health care – including abortion. And this morning, those women and women all across this country – people all across this country – woke up outraged. How dare – how dare this conservative right-wing Supreme Court – how could they do this? How could they take away that right? This is the first time, in my living memory, that the United States Supreme Court has actually taken away, a right. And we are talking here about the most American of values – the values of freedom and autonomy, and self-determination. And we all know here today that this didn't just happen. This is the end result of a decades-long campaign – fueled by dark money in this country – to overturn Roe versus Wade and capture the courts; that is what we are seeing today. And it is clear as a bell – Justice Alito’s draft comments said ‘Roe must be overturned.’ And this will affect everyone in this country. Do you know that today, over half of all abortions, are medication abortions. And so if you're out there and thinking ‘this is not going to affect me because I’m still going to be able to go and get that medication in order to make my own decisions about my own health care’ – no that is not the case at all.

It's hard not to think that people who are supporting this – these Republican legislators are so out of the mainstream. So out of the mainstream. 70% in every state across the country, at least, of Americans believe that abortion should not be banned. So that is the work that we have ahead of us – we need to organize, organize, organize; we need to vote on the senate floor for what we believe in; and we need to do everything we can to protect this fundamental right.

Smith, T. [Global News]. (2022, May 3) Roe v. Wade: Democratic Senators speak after US Supreme Court draft leak on abortion rights | FULL [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvqOvA_svcE]. Retrieved on May 4, 2022 from https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChLtXXpo4Ge1ReTEboVvTDg.