Betsy Sweet

On Our Side - June 14, 2019

Betsy Sweet
June 14, 2019
Campaign status: Lost

VIDEO CLIP OF SENATOR SUSAN COLLINS: Mr. President, I will vote to confirm Judge Kavanaugh.

AUDIO OF REPORTERS:
Missouri just passed one of the nation's most restrictive abortion bills.
A bill that would outlaw almost all abortions in Georgia.
The heartbeat bill is now sitting on Ohio Governor John Kasich desk.
Organizers say that Roe v. Wade is under the greatest threat in a generation now.

SWEET: When Susan Collins threatened our right to choose by voting for Brett Kavanaugh and then 30 other anti-choice judges, I knew we needed new representation in Washington. I'm Betsy Sweet, and that's one of the reasons why I am running for the U.S. Senate.

We are being told every day how divided we are as a country, but I don't think it's division between neighbors. I don't think it's even a division between the right and left. The real division is between us and the politicians, politicians like Susan Collins who forget who they are and forget where they come from.

Growing up, I spent a lot of time in North Haven on the back of my grandfather's lobster boat. I raised my three kids here as a single mother. After college, the only thing I knew is that I wanted to do something to help the world. I wanted to do something I believed in.

I've spent my life fighting for Maine women – good jobs for us, excellent day care for our children, and the right to control our own bodies. And fighting for a democracy that works for all of us, not just the rich and powerful.

That's what's missing right now in Washington – someone who will never forget what it means to be a Mainer. Someone who is on our side. Someone who will stand up to the greedy corporations and tax cuts for the rich when that money is needed right here at home. That's why I'm running for the U.S. Senate.

As Mainers, we have shared values. We are ready and hungry for real solutions, to have difficult conversations, and to put our smarts to work to find out things that will actually work here on the ground in Maine. We are ready to do politics in a different way.

This is a campaign of the heart, because in Maine we care about each other. That's who we are. That's what we do. And that's what we can show the world in 2020.