Debra Haaland

Victory Speech – Nov. 6, 2018

Debra Haaland
November 06, 2018

Hello, Albuquerque!

New Mexicans have overcome so much to get here today. We have struggled, but we are still here and we are still fighting.

I want to tell everyone in this room – the single moms, the people drowning in student debt, black and Hispanic and Native American and Asian communities who have been under attack, trans and LGBTQ people who deserve never to be erased, disabled folks fighting for dignity and independence, folks trying to keep a roof over your children’s heads and food on the table to insure your child gets a shot in life – I see you. I’m listening. I love you. We fight together, and I will bring that fight to Congress!

Seventy years ago, Native Americans right here in New Mexico couldn’t vote. Can you believe that?

Growing up in my mother’s pueblo household and as a thirty-fifth generation New Mexican, I never imagined a world where I would be represented by someone who looks like me. Tonight, New Mexico, you are sending one of the very first Native American women to Congress!

Today we all came together and we said we still believe in the American Dream, and American democracy, and in hope. We still believe America is stronger when we work together. We believe diversity in representation make us great. And together we have made history for New Mexico and for America.

I feel immense pride and humility at what we have accomplished together. More importantly, I am strengthened by the trust you have placed in me to help restore the values of our democracy. I am so proud to represent this beautiful state and every New Mexican here in District 1.

Tonight, New Mexicans, along with an overwhelming majority of Americans, have embraced a path to success for all of us.

The results of this election reflect a desire to return to the values that have sustained us through many eras of our history. The values that defend a world against tyranny, that provide opportunities for a nation of immigrants, that nurtures an open society and a free press, that protect the under-represented and the disenfranchised.

In 2016, a minority of American voters traded policies that made our country great for policies where children are snatched from their mother’s arms; where the words “climate change” have been erased from every single federal policy manual; where those of us who oppose this administration have been demonized, even criminalized; where the free press has been labeled the enemy of the people; where lies have insulted our intelligence every single day.

We are at a critical juncture in our history. We know that America is stronger when we work together. Now is the time to return to the most basic ideals of simply being good and kind people – welcoming the stranger; insuring dignity and freedom for all no matter what we look like, who we love, how we pray, or where we were born.

We need to put ourselves – working people – before corporate profits and the greedy few.

I promise I will fiercely represent all of us. I will represent the rich fabric of diversity that has made our country a beacon to the world for more than 240 years. I promise you that I will work relentlessly to fight for the values that we all believe in.

I intend to go to Congress to be fierce and to advocate for all the things we have talked about during the past 18 months on this campaign – fighting climate change and moving toward 100% renewable energy, that healthcare is a right and not a privilege, that Social Security and Medicare are earned benefits and should be protected and expanded, a quality public education for every child including an early childhood education, women’s reproductive rights, pay equity and pay equality, a humane immigration system, economic justice that gives every single American a real path to prosperity and success, and workers the right to collectively bargain – forever.

Tonight the American people have said no to the assault on decency. They have said yes to a new day in our politics; of taking on the many challenges we face as a state, a nation and a world; and to do all we can to leave a better world to our children and our grandchildren.

Thank you to my mother and my wonderful family who are here with me tonight.

And thank you to the awesome Team Deb!

Thank you to every single person who has given their time, their hearts to this campaign – thank you all so much. I love you, too! I love you all back!

Congress have never heard a voice like mine, but when the 116th session of the House of Representative convenes on Jan. 23, 2019, it will! It will hear my voice. It will hear your voice. It will hear all of our voices.

Thank you all so much!