Jessica Morse

Community First – Sept. 21, 2018

Jessica Morse
September 21, 2018
Campaign status: Lost

MORSE: I'm Jessica Morse, and I'm running for Congress on the simple idea that in this moment what our country needs most is leadership who puts our community and our Constitution ahead of the partisan game-playing that we see in Washington. In my conversations with folks around the district, from Truckee to Roseville to Fresno County, I've listened and I've learned a lot. I've heard from you about how we can grow our economy, create jobs in Northern California and how we can ensure that every senior can retire in dignity. And more than anything, I've heard that we have plenty of good ideas but what we've been missing is a partner and an advocate in Congress, somebody to actually stand up for us and fight for us. The Constitution was built around the idea that people with different perspectives could come together and make progress on behalf of our country. I spent a decade serving our country all over the world with the State Department, the Defense Department and the U.S. Agency for International Development, including a year and a half on the ground in Baghdad standing side-by-side with our troops. And in every one of those jobs I've had to raise my right hand and swear an oath to protect the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic. That's not an oath to protect a political party, that's not an oath to protect a personality or president – that's an oath to protect the very foundation of our democracy, our Constitution. If I have the privilege of representing our community in Congress, I will commit to you that I will hold myself to a higher code – the new Morse code. I will fight for solutions that will last generations, not just political cycles. I will put our community and our country first, above all partisan games, and I will always strive to do what is right every day that I have the privilege to serve. I'm Jessica Morse and I approve this message, because the new leadership we need should be based on the old idea that our country and our community should come first.