Elizabeth Warren

Grateful- Nov. 3, 2012

Elizabeth Warren
November 03, 2012
Campaign status: Won

WARREN: I decided to run for Senate because I feel blessed. I grew up the daughter of a maintenance man, my mom answered phones at Sears, but I grew up in an America that was really investing in kids like me. My education and creating lots of opportunities for jobs. That’s what America was like. About 30 years ago, we really turned in a different direction. We increasingly became a country that was about, I got mine, and the rest of you are on your own. That’s not the America that creates real opportunity for our kids. So, I’m in this race because what I really want to see is an America that believes again in investing in tomorrow, and investing in opportunity for all of our kids. So they’ve all got a chance to make it big. One of the things that happens when you shake hands with folks, is they explain why they care so much about this election. Why they’re invested in it. I hear from college students who’ve just gotten hammered on student loans. You know, they’ve worked hard, they’ve played by the rules, and now they’re moving back home with mom and dad because they just can’t pull it together. I talk to young couples, who are doing pretty well for themselves, but they’re really worried that we’re building the future for our children. I talked to seniors who watch what’s going on in Washington and cannot believe that we live in a world where the Senate says, protect big oil subsidies, but cut back on our commitments to our seniors. So there are a lot of people who are invested in our campaign, but most of all I get to hear from people about their lives, and about their hopes for the future. I feel very privileged to have this opportunity. To be out there, to talk about our future with people all across this commonwealth.