Hillary Rodham Clinton

Equal - June 24, 2015

Hillary Rodham Clinton
June 24, 2015
Campaign status: Lost

CLINTON: The story of America is a story of hard-fought, hard-won progress and it continues today.

GROOM AT GAY WEDDING: I can't believe we're here.

CLINTON: New chapters are being written by men and women who believe that all of us -- not just some, but all -- should have the chance to live up to our God-given potential.

GROOM: The reason I can't believe it is because...

CLINTON: This progress was not easily won. People fought and organized and campaigned in public squares and private spaces to change not only laws, but hearts and minds.

GROOM: I remember all the thoughts that ran through my head when I started to realize that I was gay. Why me? What am I going to do? Will anyone love me? I'll never get married. That's the one that really hurt -- I'll never get married.

CLINTON: And thanks to that work of generations, for millions of individuals barriers that once prevented people from enjoying the full measure of liberty...

GROOM: I felt sad...

CLINTON: ...the full experience of dignity...

GROOM: I felt alone.

CLINTON: ...and the full benefits of humanity have fallen away.

GROOM: I'll never feel alone. I love you.

CLINTON: Some have suggested that gay right and human rights are separate and distinct, but in fact they are one and the same. Being LGBT does not make you less human, and that is why gay rights are human rights and human rights are gay rights.