Alison Lundergan Grimes

Remarks at the 2016 Democratic National Convention - July 26, 2016

Alison Lundergan Grimes
July 26, 2016— Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2016 Democratic National Convention

Good evening, my fellow Americans. I'm Alison Lundergan Grimes, the youngest female secretary of state in the nation! I'm honored to join you tonight representing not only the South but the great Commonwealth of Kentucky.

I’ve known Hillary Clinton the majority of my life, more than 20 years – as First Lady, Senator, Secretary of State, mentor, and friend. Six months from now, friends, I hope we all know her by another name: Madam President.

I met Hillary while greeting her and President Clinton with my four sisters on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in January 1993. I could never have imagined years later, she would write, call, check up on me in law school, help win my first-ever campaign for Kentucky Secretary of State, and stand by my side as I took on one of the Senate’s biggest bullies, Mitch McConnell.

I’m proud to be part of a new generation of Southern Democrats, and I would not be here without Hillary Clinto. For me, this is personal. I know it is for you, too.

The Hillary I know is caring and compassionate. She reminds me to slow down and spend time with my family. She was the first to call when both of my grandmothers passed. And I know how she wears the names of those closest to her heart – her grandchildren, Charlotte and Aidan – on a bracelet she is never without.

The Hillary I know loves HGTV and can devour buffalo wings, whether on a car, plane or train. And more than anything else, she loves to listen.

The Hillary I know fights for all people through causes we have both championed including:

Equal pay. As an original co-sponsor of the Lilly Ledbetter Act, Hillary Clinton will not rest until every woman receives equal pay. She knows it’s not a woman’s issue; this is a family's issue.

Voting rights. Hillary believes, like me, that if you’ve paid your debt to society, you shouldn’t be sentenced to a lifetime of silence.

And the Hillary I know is a fighter for college affordability, pensions for our retired coal miners, and for affordable health care.

In other words, folks, she fights for everything Donald Trump fights against.

In this election, we have the chance, the opportunity to send a message. If you condemn the hate speech and divisive policies of Trump’s GOP, then stand up. If you condemn gridlock and obstruction, stand up. If you think the last thing America needs in our White House, in that Oval Office is an unsteady, unqualified bully who points fingers rather than offering a hand to those who are defenseless, stand up.

Together, my fellow Americans, let’s stand up and elect as the next president of the United States the woman that has always stood with each of us: Hillary Rodham Clinton!

Thank you all very much. God bless America.

2020 Democratic National Convention. "Secretary of State of Kentucky Alison Lundergan Grimes at DNC 2016." YouTube video, 5:34. July 26, 2016. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9w2XsPXphs.