Deb Fischer

Remarks at the 2012 Republican National Convention - Aug. 28, 2012

Deb Fischer
August 28, 2012— Tampa, Florida
2012 Republican National Convention

Thank you. I'm not your usual politician. I'm a wife. I'm a mother of three grown sons. I’m a rancher, a small business owner and a citizen-legislator.

Becoming a U.S. senator was never an ambition of mine. But over the last four years, I've become very dismayed with the record spending, the record debt, and the record unemployment.

The Obama administration has been out of touch with the American people, and they've driven our country towards the edge of a fiscal cliff.

We're on track to become the first generation that passes on fewer opportunities to the next. And that is unacceptable.

But it doesn't have to be this way. I'm running for the U.S. Senate because I know that we can do better.

I've been a senator in the Nebraska legislature these past eight years. And in Nebraska, we have an unemployment rate of only 4 percent.

How did we get there? Well hey—we cut spending. We balance our budget every year. And we passed the largest tax relief package in the history of our state.

And most importantly, we got government out of the way and we let the private sector do what it does best: grow our economy and create jobs.

We've done it in Nebraska, and I know that we can do the same thing in Washington, because we only have two options left.

We can either continue the same failed policies of the past, or we can begin to make the tough decisions and lead our country responsibly.

We have a tremendous opportunity to set our country in a new, more prosperous direction, and it begins in November.

Thank you. Thank you very much, and God bless.

Speech from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEIp1coxRmE.