Hillary Rodham Clinton

Senate Reelection Victory Speech - Nov. 7, 2006

Hillary Rodham Clinton
November 07, 2006— New York City

Thank you all, this is a big night for democrats isn't it?

I just think democracy is great, and it's great to be here with all of you. I want to thank you New York. I want to thank you for standing with me, and I want to thank you for standing up for change.

The message couldn't be clearer that it's time for a new course. Beyond all of the partisan ideological division, back to vital, dynamic center, to begin to solve the problems of New Yorkers and of Americans. I've had the honor the past 6 years to work with you, and to listen to you, from the bottom of heart to send me back to the senate to work for the public interest.

There's so much work to be done. With your help, we will move forward. Last week the Vice President said, regardless of the outcome, the administration would go full speed ahead in the same direction. Well, I think that the American people have said, not so fast.

Together, we have chosen a new course. We have voted to raise the minimum wage for the first time in 10 years. For middle class tax cuts, for healthcare coverage, for everyone, at a price you can afford with high quality. For a clean, independent energy future that will help our national security, our environment, and our economy by creating good jobs. For an end to the deficit that threatened social security, and threatened our children's future. For an economy that brings prosperity to all, not just to some. A government that is accountable, transparent, competent, and committed to our constitution and the rule of law.

Yes, we have voted for a continuing effort against terrorism, but for a new course in Iraq. A new course that brings us together. Democrats, Republicans, independents, not one that tears us apart. What I hope is that the message will be heard loudly and clearly, because New Yorkers and Americans want an end to the culture of corruption and dominance of special interest, and a new beginning for our beloved country. So I thank all of you, I thank you for walking the precinct, for phoning your friends, for emailing everyone you know, for driving voters to the polls, for making this wonderful victory possible.

I am prepared to roll up my sleeves and get to work, with our next Governor, Elliot Spitzer, and our next Lieutenant Governor Jacob Patterson, and our wonderful Attorney General, Andrew Cuomo, they will lead our state with vigor and brilliance, and we will together have a New York team that will get things done for the people of our state.

It is an exciting time in New York. We know there are problems, we know that we're going to face some difficult solutions. But I am very grateful, because what's happening across our country today is a good sign that democracy and our Constitution are alive and well. I want to thank my partner, and our senior Senator Chuck Schumer for the great job he's done on behalf of our senate candidate.

I would like to say on a personal note that I am so grateful to my family for their love and support, particularly to my husband and my daughter who couldn't be here tonight. I want to thank the best senate staff in the entire senate. I want to thank the best campaign staff in the entire country, I want to thank the volunteers from all walks of life, who have devoted so much of your time.

A few minutes ago, I spoke with John Spencer, I congratulated him on running a spirited campaign, and I thanked him for his service to our country. Because I think it's important we acknowledge the service of every American who stands for our values, whether they wear the uniform of our country, whether they serve as a first responder, and I appreciate kids.

Now I think it's time that we come together as a state and as a country. Let's get beyond the vitriol, let's get beyond all of the mean spiritedness and negative advertising, let's look to see what we can do together. To build the kind of state and country that we know we can do if we put our minds to it, and we begin to listen to each other. An America that promotes opportunity, responsibility, security and community. One where honesty and accountability and good values are promoted.

Tonight, New Yorkers and Americans are voting their values. For leaders who will take our state and our country in a new direction. I am proud to play a role in helping to chart that future with you. I have to say that whenever I go to the floor of the Senate, to speak on your behalf, and the presiding officer calls on me, and says the senator from New York, it is the greatest privilege that I could have, to be your senator.

When I return to Washington next week, I do so knowing that we have made a statement here tonight. That we believe in who we are as a state, and we believe in our country, and we're going to take it back starting tonight.

So for all of you, thank you, God bless you, God bless New York, and God bless America.

Speech from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpStBDisP80.