Patty Judge

2009 Jefferson Jackson Dinner - Nov. 24, 2009

Patty Judge
November 24, 2009— Des Moines, Iowa
2009 Jefferson Jackson Dinner

Wonderful to see you again. It makes me think of a great big family reunion. We get to catch up on what we’re doing, we brag a little bit about our kids, we brag a lot a bit about our grandchildren, and we laugh a little, and hopefully we’re going to get fired up for this election in 2010. Now, a lot has happened, and you heard that from the congressman.

A lot has happened since we were here a year ago. If you remember, when we were here a year ago, we were absolutely dumbfounded in John McCain’s choice in a running mate. You might also remember that I was somewhat annoyed in that selection of Miss Palin. Barack Obama had not called on me, and he had in fact tapped a much more qualified candidate, Joe Biden. Well, of course we all know how that worked out.

In a few minutes, we’re going to hear from the Vice President of the United States, Joe Biden. Who, by the way, was a smart choice, he was the right choice, and coincidently, you know I really like Joe Biden. He’s the guy who’s going to tell it to you straight, and as we say at the Judge house, he lets the tail go with the hide. Now, some of you may not understand that but I worked hard to figure out some way to get a reference to livestock in this speech. That’s just about the best I can do.

That also reminds me, I want to share something personal with you tonight if I may. John Judge is here with me tonight, and I want to let you know that last month, John and I shared our 40th wedding anniversary. Can you imagine the patience of that man, spending 40 years of his life with me? Well, thank you John for that.

Well, neither I nor Sarah went to Washington, and that’s a good thing, but you know what, here’s an original idea folks. I’m going to write a book, and I’m going to call it something really catchy like “Going to Des Moines”. Yes, I am going to do it. It’s going to be a great book. It’s going to be full of stories, and those stores are going to be about all the people and all the things that I have seen and heard in all of these years that I have been going to Des Moines, and the best thing about it is these are true stories.

Well, one of the first chapters in the book will be titled “My Early Years”. Congressman Boswell and I were talking about this before we came in the room. The Early Years, the Brandstead era, or we can title that, “Terry loves tax breaks for the rich, and Terry loves taxes for the rest of us”. Or we can call it what people from all over the state were calling it, which is “Holy moly we gotta get the guy out of here, the place is falling apart”. Now, a couple of my Republican friends may also be interested in my book because I think one whole chapter will be called “A political strategy: How to take a majority, turn it into a minority, loose a leadership, and then lose your seat on the back bench to run for Governor,” or we can subtitle this one “lessons in the dangers of bitterness and a lack of ideas”. Or. We can just all it “My name is Christopher.”

Now, there’s another chapter, “Come on guys, one more chapter here. Either a total disregard for the law, or an amazing lack of knowledge of the code of the state of Iowa. Which is it, Bob?” This one is, I think, only a partial chapter, because he’s going to have to share it with several other Republican lawmakers that I’ve met over the years. And of course, in all seriousness, my book is going to be largely a chronical of the Culver-Judge years. After all, it’s my book. So, beginning with the race in 2006, because with your help, we swept this state and elected Chet Culver our Governor.

My book is going to talk about Chet Culver. With Chet as our Governor, we began to move the state forward. The very first bill Chet signed, raised the minimum wage, and gave hardworking Iowans a long overdue raise. It’s going to talk about lifting the ban on stem cell research, and giving hope to people of all ages. It’s going to talk about protecting civil rights of all Iowans. Whatever their sex, their race, their creed, or their sexual orientation. It’s going to talk about making our kids safe from bullying in schools. It’s going to talk about a new future in for this state, in renewable energy that began in Iowa and is sweeping the nation. It’s going to talk about rewarding teachers and nurses. It’s going to talk about taking care of veterans, and I am proud of these chapters in the Culver-Judge years and I know you are too.

Now, I’m also going to write about a flood that was really unlike anything in our state before, and about the amazing response under the Governors leadership. I’m going to talk about a major recession that began on Wall Street and in Washington D.C. under George Bush, and came to our state and crippled our state economy. But I’m also, my friends, going to write about tough decisions that were made by Chet Culver all over to keep our state budget balanced, and to keep people safe, and how Iowans from all walks of life, worked together to find tough solutions to tough problems. Some of those people are in this room tonight. We know what they did, we know what they’re doing, we know the struggle, and we thank you all for that.

Now, as I conclude, I want to tell you I’m going to write another chapter. We’re going to call this one the reelect. And people keep telling me, asking me, are you running with Chet again. Well, that’s Chet’s choice. But I’m going to tell you that if he wants me on the ticket for another four years, I’m going to be there. And here’s why. One, a solid record of accomplishments in the first term. A vision for moving Iowa forward, through job growth, through quality education, affordable health care and renewable energy opportunities. A man with leadership, a man with unquestionable integrity, ladies and gentleman, please help me write the next chapter. That chapter is the 2010 election, Culver wins again.

Speech from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ4dV21o6T4.