|Born:||May 22, 1957 (age 63)|
|Career:||U.S. Senate, 2002-present|
Alaska House of Representatives, 1999-2002
|Education:||B.A., Georgetown University|
J.D., Willamette University College of Law
Lisa Murkowski has served in the U.S. Senate for Alaska since 2002. Murkowski was the first elected Alaska-born senator.
Murkowski was born May 22, 1957, in Ketchikan, Alaska. Her father is former U.S. senator and governor of Alaska Frank Murkowski. She graduated from Georgetown University in 1980 with a Bachelor of Arts in economics and from Willamette University in 1985 with a Juris Doctor. Prior to her political career, Murkowski was an Anchorage District Court attorney from 1987-1989 and a private practice attorney from 1989-1996. She served on the Mayor's Task Force on the Homeless from 1990-1991 and on the Anchorage Equal Rights Commission from 1997-1998.
Murkowski served in the Alaska State house of representatives from 1999-2002. She was appointed to the U.S. Senate in 2002 by her father, who had resigned the seat to become the governor of Alaska. She completed her father's unexpired term, then ran for and won a full term in 2004. She ran for a second term in 2010 but lost the Republican Party nomination to Tea Party candidate Joe Miller. She then ran as a write-in candidate and defeated both Miller and Democrat Scott McAdams in the general election.
For information on Murkowski's policy subject areas, committee appointments and sponsored/co-sponsored legislation in the U.S. Senate, please visit her profile on https://www.congress.gov.
Biographical Directory of the United States Congress (n.d.). Murkowski, Lisa (1957-). Retrieved on May 6, 2020, from https://bioguideretro.congress.gov/Home/MemberDetails?memIndex=M001153.
Murkowski, L. (n.d.) About Lisa. Retrieved on May 11, 2020, from https://www.murkowski.senate.gov/about-lisa.
- Announcement of Voting Against Betsy DeVos - Feb. 1, 2017
- Opening Remarks in the Secretary of Energy Confirmation Hearing - Jan. 19, 2017
- Weekly Republican Address - Jan. 23, 2016
- Weekly Republican Address - Oct. 31, 2015
- Weekly Republican Address - Jan. 24, 2015
- Weekly Republican Address - Feb. 9, 2013
- Weekly Republican Address - March 12, 2011
- Weekly Republican Address - Feb. 14, 2009
- The Rural Teacher Housing Act of 2005 - Nov. 18, 2005
- Alaskan Constitutional Convention 50th Anniv. - Nov. 8, 2005
- Balanced Energy Development - June 9, 2005
- Comments on the Senate Highway Bill - May 16, 2005
- Statement on John Bolton - May 12, 2005
- Speech to Alaska Legislature - March 30, 2005
- Speech to Alaksa Legislature - April 2, 2004
- A Better Prescription Plan for Seniors - April 30, 2003
- Artic Oil Development Will Help Environment - April 30, 2003
- Speech to Alaskan Legislature - April 25, 2003
- Cory Davis - Nov. 5, 2016
- Our Community, Our Alaska - Nov. 3, 2016
- Working Together - Oct. 28, 2016
- AFN - Oct. 26, 2016
- 49th State - Oct. 25, 2016
- Standing with Rural Alaska - Oct. 21. 2016
- Military - Oct. 19, 2016
- Pipeline - Oct. 13, 2016
- Nicole - Oct. 4, 2016
- Hovercraft - Oct. 3, 2016
- Chef Jeff - Sep. 13, 2016
- The best of Alaska - Sept 6, 2016
- Our Alaska - Aug. 29, 2016
- Ro Bailey - Aug. 10, 2016
- Fighting for Alaska - Nov. 6, 2015