|Born:||November 11, 1940 (age 81)|
|Career:||U.S. Senate, 1993-2017|
U.S. House of Representatives, 1983-1993
Marin County (Calif.) Board of Supervisors, 1977-1983
|Education:||B.A., Brooklyn College|
Barbara Boxer served as a U.S. senator from California from 1993 to 2017.
Boxer was born November 11, 1940, in Brooklyn, New York. She received a bachelor's degree in economics from Brooklyn College in 1962. She first worked in politics in 1968 as a volunteer for the Eugene McCarthy presidential campaign. In 1970 she helped found an antiwar organization, the Marin Alternative, to protest the war in Vietnam. She worked as a journalist for Pacific Sun from 1972 to 1974, and from 1974 to 1976, she was as an aide to U.S. Representative John Burton.
In 1976, Boxer won a seat on the Marin County Board of Supervisors, serving for six years and eventually serving as its first woman president. When Rep. Burton decided to retire in 1982, Boxer won his seat in Congress, serving from 1983 to 1993.
For more information on Boxer's policy subject areas, committee appointments and sponsored/co-sponsored legislation during her time in the U.S. Senate and U.S. House of Representatives, please visit her profile on https://www.congress.gov.
Cunningham, J.M. (n.d.). Barbara Boxer: United States Senator. In Britannica. Retrieved on May 1, 2020, from https://www.britannica.com/biography/Barbara-Boxer.
United States House of Representatives (n.d.) Boxer, Barbara. Retrieved on May 1, 2020, from https://history.house.gov/People/Listing/B/BOXER,-Barbara-(B000711).
- Remarks on the WRDA Bill Provisions - Dec. 9, 2016
- Farewell Remarks after 24 Years in the U.S. Senate - Dec. 7, 2016
- Democratic Women of the Senate at the 2016 Democratic National Convention - July 28, 2016
- Remarks at the 2016 Democratic National Convention - July 26, 2016
- Remembering Geraldine Ferraro - March 29, 2011
- Senatorial Debate with Carly Fiorina - Sept. 1, 2010
- S. 1733, Clean Energy Jobs and American Power Act - Oct. 27, 2009
- Department of Defense Appropriations Act of 2010 - Sept. 30, 2009
- Remembering Senator Edward M. Kennedy - Sept. 10, 2009
- Remarks on the War in Iraq - Dec. 21, 2005
- The Filibuster Issue - April 25, 2005
- Moving Forward - Oct. 31, 2010
- Fighting for Jobs - Oct. 28, 2010
- Glass- Oct. 27, 2010
- Oil's Well that Ends Well- Oct. 26, 2010
- Workers- Oct. 20, 2010
- Shoulder to Shoulder- Oct. 18, 2010
- Qualified- Oct. 16, 2010
- Out of Touch- Oct. 15, 2010
- Precisely- Oct. 1, 2010
- Outsourcing- Sept. 15,2010
- Made in America- Sept. 13, 2010