Ann Kirkpatrick

Violence Against Women Act - Feb. 27, 2013

Ann Kirkpatrick
February 27, 2013— Washington, DC
Press conference

I’m proud to be a cosponsor of this legislation, and I’m hopeful that it will pass in a bipartisan vote. In Arizona’s Congressional District 1, we have 12 tribes. Native Americans make up 25% of the congressional district.

Unfortunately, Native American women are two and a half times, two and a half times, more likely to be assaulted in their lifetime than any other woman in the United States. I was born and raised on tribal land on the White Mountain Apache Nation. I have experienced firsthand the challenges that our tribal communities face.

This legislation is important to my constituents. It strengthens tribal criminal jurisdiction over those who assault Native American spouses and dating partners while on tribal land. It clarifies jurisdiction for civil orders of protection. It improves grant programs to help tribal communities. And it strengthens assault statutes.

Once again, we need to do all we can to keep victims safe and hold perpetrators accountable. I hope the House will work together to pass a strong bipartisan bill.

Speech from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS0eVNYdYic&list=UUBaTLi-KBQ9SW3R0setKu0g.