Renee Ellmers

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Mandate - Feb. 9, 2012

Renee Ellmers
February 09, 2012— Washington, DC
Press conference

That is the statement as Ms. Fox pointed out. When I first started speaking out against the president’s healthcare bill—which is actually long before I ever considered running for office—one of the main messages that I would make to even those who were supportive of the issue was that this is not about healthcare. This is not about women’s healthcare. This is about the overreach of government. This is about President Obama having control over every aspect of your life, especially for women from conception to death. I’m a Catholic, so this is a personal issue for me. But this is about religious freedom for everyone, no matter what religious belief you have. If the Obama administration can come in and mandate that Catholic institutions must provide something that goes completely and totally against their belief and religious doctrine, what does that say about everyone else and every other situation that can come down the line? When my father—my father’s deceased—but when I was a child he sat me down and he looked me in the eye and he said, "Renee, someday you will have to fight for your religion." I didn’t understand then what he meant, but it always stuck with me. I understand today because I believe that day has come. We must do everything we possibly can to fight against it. Thank you.

Speech from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IlP3E8hiqM&list=UUHlEm6WDK8UWn5STL_fZm_g.