Shelley Moore Capito

Supporting The Violence Against Women Act - April 25, 2012

Shelley Moore Capito
April 25, 2012— Washington, DC
Press conference

Hi, I'm Shelley Moore Capito representing West Virginia. I'm here to support and lend my support to the reauthorization of VAWA. I was thinking today about why this is so important to me, and I thought about Jahlil Clements, an 11-year-old boy from Malden, West Virginia, in my district. He was in the car with his mother and his mother's boyfriend. The mother was driving the car on the interstate. The perpetrator, the boyfriend, began abusing his mother and hitting his mother. She pulled the car over into the middle of the interstate. That little boy got out to try to wave somebody down for help, and he was hit and killed in the middle of the night. And it was just tremendously tragic and sad. For him, he was a wonderful student, had a lot of friends. He was trying to help his mom. And so it shows you that these kinds of crimes are not just about a man or a woman being abused. It's a whole family. And that's why I'm really proud to stand here today with my colleagues to make this a better bill so that the Jahlil Clements in the future, that their mother or whoever's being abused in that family can get quicker services; can get more efficient services; can have a broader reach to the service…can maybe save that next little boy that's trying to help his mom who's in a cycle of abuse. Thanks.

Speech from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp8pUw-YJsk&list=UUftKT5ENIKjqidj9Xz6b_Yw